HUMOUR-RESEARCH 1999

Re: First contact from Marseilles

Arthur Asa Berger <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Oct 1999 08:26:35 -0700

Mederic:

Not only do I know about bouillabaisse, I've had it...in Marseilles,
many years ago.  It has a reputation in America for being a "tough" town...
full of criminals from the waterfront, etc.  Or it had that reputation.

What you talk about Marseilles using its comic reputation assertively or
aggressively, is an old technique...play with the stereotype and throw it in
the face of those who ridicule you.  To my mind, it stems from a sense of
masked superiority...so people from Marseilles refuse to be victimized
and play with the stereotypes...showing how ridiculous they are.
Much the same thing has been done by gays and lesbians who now talk about
Queer culture--taking the term from the bigots and neutralizing it.

Here in San Francisco, we had a columnist who used to poke fun at a
small town, Chico, up north...and we all poke fun at Los Angeles.

Please tell me some Marseilles jokes

AAB

At 10:02 AM 10/20/99 CEST, you wrote:

>>From: Arthur Asa Berger <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Re: First contact from Marseilles
>>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:01:51 -0700
>>
>M. Berger,
>
>Thank you for your answer. I see that you know our famous "bouillabaisse",
>but perhaps don't you know our comic reputation in France...
>I think that marseillian humor is a defense from a ridiculous vision of
>Marseille's identity and language, from a central and normative parisian
>vision. It is a well-known situation in the world (a group becoming the butt
>of jokes), but the situation of Marseilles is very interesting : since a few
>years, people seem to get free from some comic attacks, and emphasize some
>aspects of the marseillian culture, like language, football club, etc. They
>play with the stereotypes to throw them at the face of the jokers...
>I'll try to tell you more another day ; please tell me what you think about
>all this (excuse my marseillian english !). Thank you.
>
>Mederic.
>

>Your message was :
>>Mederic:
>>
>>What has your research found about Marseillian humor?
>>A mixture of things like boo-ya-bess?
>>
>>Arthur Asa Berger

Arthur Asa Berger, Ph.D.
Professor of Broadcast & Electronic Communication Arts
San Francisco State University
E-Mail:	[log in to unmask]
Tel: (415) 338-1788 (Dept. Office)
OFFICE FAX: (209) 671-3537 (FAXWAVE Internet Fax Program)

NOTE:  I will be on leave the Spring semester.
You can get my comic mystery novels THE HAMLET CASE at Fatbrain.com
and MURDER AD NAUSEAM, at my website www.jps.net/aaberger
Some of my articles are available at
http://beca.sfsu.edu/beca/faculty/berger