HUMOUR-RESEARCH Archives

HUMOUR-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

HUMOUR-RESEARCH Home

HUMOUR-RESEARCH  1999

HUMOUR-RESEARCH 1999

Re: First contact from Marseilles

"Mederic GASQUET-CYRUS" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Oct 1999 10:02:15 CEST

>From: Arthur Asa Berger <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: First contact from Marseilles
>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:01:51 -0700

M. Berger,

Thank you for your answer. I see that you know our famous "bouillabaisse",
but perhaps don't you know our comic reputation in France...
I think that marseillian humor is a defense from a ridiculous vision of
Marseille's identity and language, from a central and normative parisian
vision. It is a well-known situation in the world (a group becoming the butt
of jokes), but the situation of Marseilles is very interesting : since a few
years, people seem to get free from some comic attacks, and emphasize some
aspects of the marseillian culture, like language, football club, etc. They
play with the stereotypes to throw them at the face of the jokers...
I'll try to tell you more another day ; please tell me what you think about
all this (excuse my marseillian english !). Thank you.

Mederic.

Your message was :