HUMOUR-RESEARCH  1999

HUMOUR-RESEARCH 1999

Organizational Humor from He Who Knows

Mon, 8 Feb 1999 23:00:19 EST

Hi all,

I've been on this list for a long time but haven't posted until now. I thought
many of you might be interested in an article in the New York Times yesterday
(Sun., 2/7/99 - Business Section p. 1) about John Cleese and his work in humor
and organizational psychology. I would think that nearly everyone in the
English-speaking world (at least) knows John Cleese from Monty Python or
Fawlty Towers, but fewer people know that he has created many extremely
popular training films for business (interestingly, many *countries* have used
his training videos for government workers, which might be a research subject
in and of itself). I know that this is not exactly a peer-review kind of
reference, but as a practicing humor-monger, he has some very interesting
things to say on the subject.

I've been wanting to get my hands on these training videos for a long time. It
might be interesting, for those people involved in the subject, to consider
renting a couple to review at the humor conference. It's not exactly my forte,
but if people are interested, I'd be happy to look into what it takes to do
such a thing.

(Me: I'm studying nationalism, gender/sexuality, and comedy from an
anthropological context, at the Univ. of Michigan. In that respect, I'm
especially interested in comedians and the way they work -- and to that
extent, I tip my hat to Mr. Cleese as a working comic expanding into practical
application.)

Adrienne Young