Help for HUMOUR-RESEARCH Archives

HUMOUR-RESEARCH Archives

HUMOUR-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

HUMOUR-RESEARCH Home

HUMOUR-RESEARCH  1999

HUMOUR-RESEARCH 1999

Breaking preference structure as a humour eliciting device

"Jim Gorman" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Sep 1999 16:06:01 GMT

I am carrying out my third year thesis on conversational humour, more
specifically, breaking preference structure. For example laughter is
preferred after joke telling, but dispreferred after self
depreciation (Gavioli, 1995).

I am looking at whether breaking preference structure can be used as
a humour eliciting device. My method will be conversational analysis
and source of transcript is the 'Friends' TV preogram. An example of
breaking preference structure can  be seen below:

Ross: okay (.) you know you probably didn't know this (.) but back in
         high school (.) I had a (.) crush on you.
Rach: I know
Ross: you did? (.) oh (.) I always figured you just thought I was
         Mo:incas geeky older brother.
Rach: I did.

In the above extract Rach breaks the preferred answer structure in
both cases which elicits humour.

Does anybody have any info that they think will be of use to me in my
study?

E-mail me at: [log in to unmask]

Thanks Jim.