CHILDREN-MEDIA-UK 1999

from ruth zanker

"Ruth Zanker" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:44:49 GMT+1200

Ruth again.....
I recently attended a commercial seminar in New Zealand targeting
those marketing  to children and youth ('CAPTURING KIDS' run by
the IIR and costing $1600....thus excluding most of us.....I got a
freebie via someone administers New Zealand ANZA -
Australia New Zealand Advertisers).

The thing that struck me again and again was the difficulty of
studying these dizzyingly fast moving phenomina. It is hard enough
for those wanting to latch their merchandise or channel ratings onto
them....let alone academics wishing to spend TIME contemplating them.
There was much debate over whether Pokemon, which had shifted free to
air channels in New Zealand, would drag children away from local
offerings and thus hurt them......a rep from the 'old channel' opined
that it would sag after Christmas.... unless the film was a
hit....but there was much cynicism after the 'Starwars'
flop....chips, drinks and other products had been burned as a result.

Market researchers and ad agencies observed that the range of
ages of children were picking up and discarding new fads in
increasingly rapid cycles....The marketers themselves identified kids
as 'dangerous terratory' in the title of the conference  'Capturing
kids'.

And, in terms of my own research:  I was going to write something
on Telletubbies.....who is interested in reading about that  NOW in
1999?

Ruth Zanker
New Zealand Broadcasting School