Help for ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN Archives

ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN Archives

ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN Home

ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN  1999

ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN 1999

Alcohol Dehydrogenase - Whoops! - Wrong Enzyme

"Kent Dooley"<[log in to unmask]>

Kent Dooley

Wed, 08 Sep 1999 09:17:01 -0300

   In my recent posting asking about availability of an enzymatic test I
   inadvertently asked for
                                Alcohol dehydrogenase
   when I meant to say
                                Aldehyde deydrogenase (EC 1.2.1.3).

   Sorry about the confusion

   [though I have enjoyed the annecdotes]

   Kent Dooley

Subject: RE: Alcohol Dehydrogenase
Author:  "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> at INTERNET
Date:    08/09/1999 9:26 AM

ADH deficiency is likely to be rare and to my knowledge has never been
reported in humans. It is likely to be rare because ethanol is metabolised
by ADH1, ADH2 and ADH3 and since these are coded by separate genes it would
take a significant deletion on Chromosome 4 to knock out all three of them.

What is the evidence that this person lacks ADH? Is this another
drink-driving nonsense? Has an alcohol tolerance test been done under
suitable supervision?

If this is a reasonably likely case of an inborn error of alcohol
metabolism we might be prepared to do PCR-based typing of ADH2 and ADH3. If
they both fail to amplify on a DNA sample which amplifies for other genes,
then we would test nearby microsatellite markers in order to define the
length of the deletion. But this would be a lengthy and expensive business
which would only be done because of its scientific value - I can't think of
any clinical benefits.

John Whitfield
The Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane
Tel: 61-7-3362 0298
Fax: 61-7-3362 0101
(Temporary address until 31st October 1999)

On Tuesday, September 07, 1999 10:55 PM, Kent Dooley
[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
>    Can someone direct me to a Lab which can test for Alcohol
Dehydrogenase