DC6 and beyond

Thomas Baker <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:14:23 +0700 (ICT)

TEXT/PLAIN

Dear members of the dc-international list,

As many of you have read on meta2, DC6 was a momentous workshop for
Dublin Core.  For those of you who do not subscribe to meta2, I have
attached Stu's excellent summary below.  Some news:

1. My report on the activities of the Working Group on DC in
Multiple Languages was well-received and -- exceptionally for DC6 --
uncontroversial.

2. At AIT, we have finished a prototype distributed registry with versions
of Dublin Core in many languages formatted in RDF.  Before putting this
online over the coming weeks, we will be in touch with many of you about
URIs for these files on your Web sites.

3. The Dublin Core Initiative is adopting more formal procedures for
reporting and archiving the activities of its working groups.  The Web
page I maintain at the URL below has "half-migrated" to OCLC, but we still
need to work out a procedure for handling the work-flow through email.
I realize that some documents are out of sync and will give this my full
attention after December 15.

4. Most pressingly (for me), I am writing an article on Dublin Core
in Multiple Languages for the December 15 issue of D-Lib Magazine and
have been in touch with many of you this past week requesting related
information and URLs.  I will send you all some mail soon asking for
your advice and comments on aspects of the draft.

The Dublin Core community clearly sees our work as important, and a
number of us are strongly committed to moving forward on the agenda we
have described in our position paper.  I look forward over the coming
weeks to reopening discussion of the position paper in light of the
developments that that began in Washington.

Best regards,
Tom