ACAD-AE-MED October 1998

RE: Head Problems

Darren Walter <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Oct 1998 06:47:48 -0400

Jeremy Harrison wrote:

>>Changes in elevation on helo transfer exacerbated pain......

>....?Presumably due to relatively rapid change in ICP. Does decrease in
>atmospheric pressure increase risk of further bleed? Thus: how to weigh
the
>balance between longer road transfer and shorter helo transfer which
>involves faster ambient pressure changes?

I think I must have missed some of this "discussion" :-(

Never heard of or seen exacerabation of pain through elevation, except an
occasional popping of the ears.

Keep helicopter flight in perpective - medevac operations are at less than
1500 ft (500 m). My physics is a little rusty but ... according to my
anaesthetic texts 1000 ft equates to a fall in barometric pressure of
approximately 22 mmHg, assuming atmospheric is 760 mmHg  - a 3% change.

The average HEMS London medevac flight is less than 7 minutes.

Please explain how the atmospheric pressure changes the ICP. The FiO2 will
be less when breathing air, but this will be readily compensated for by the
use of high flow oxygen - standard for trauma care.

Another aeromedical EMS misconception bites the dust ;-)

DPW
Yorkshire
(an EMS helicopter enthusiast - in case it doesn't show)