Release of DIAGNOSYS v3.0

"john.appleby" <[log in to unmask]>

john.appleby

Fri, 4 Sep 1998 15:27:19 +0100 (BST)

TEXT/PLAIN

>From today, Version 3.0 of DIAGNOSYS is available. The demonstration
version can be downloaded from the web pages (now rewritten). A full site
licence (permanent, one-off price) for your department or institution is
available for 50 pounds sterling + vat (one price for all buyers). Note
that DIAGNOSYS is no longer technically a TLTP product, since no support
has been received since January 1996, but it is hoped that this price
makes it accessible to all.

I shall try to respond to orders in time for implementation this autumn
term! Note that only the main exe file is different from the demo version,
so you could go ahead with implementation and customization, and update
just that file once I've sent it.

The post-processing program is not yet available, but should be by 30th
September 1998. A copy of this will be sent to anyone who purchased before
that date (or it will be available for download from the web).

A brief description of DIAGNOSYS follows:

> DIAGNOSYS is an expert-system testing shell suitable for diagnostic or
> other testing of maths and related (hierarchical) subjects. This release
> includes a range of 92 maths questions, and is suitable for Foundation or
> 1st year entry to any course requiring numeracy and algebra skills. Other
> developers have used the v2.4 shell to construct Mechanics and Computer
> Science tests. It is in use in several dozen UK universities, and several
> overseas universities and UK schools and colleges.
>
> v3.0 is a complete rewrite for Windows 3.1 and later of the successful
> DIAGNOSYS v2.2 - v2.4. This demonstration shows the whole test, but as yet
> does not have post-processing facilities. The full release, by August 31st
> I hope, will include these and minor amendments, and also a customising
> editor to permit easy adaptation of the various features to your needs.
>
> I should be grateful for any feedback on the new interface, which
> incorporates the stand-alone module Mathinput v1.2 (which is available
> FREE to other CAL developers). This offers maths input similar to the Word
> Equation Editor, but with 'intelligent' output of maths. Run-time
> composition of equations and graphs also avoids storage of large bitmaps
> for maths display. The 92 questions (many with variants) requires only
> 45Kb storage by this means!

Dr JC Appleby,
Foundation Year Course Director,  DIAGNOSYS (TLTP) Project Director
Dept of Engineering Mathematics, Univ of Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU. U.K.
Tel: (+44) (0) 191-222-6286, Fax: (+44) (0) 191-222-5498
E-mail:     [log in to unmask]  or  [log in to unmask]
Web pages:  http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/john.appleby (note new address!)