EXCEL-VB-DISCUSS March 1998

RE: Adding a new function category

"Paffett, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:45:40 -0000

The official method from Microsoft is as follows. I'm afraid we've not
found a better method!

Best wishes

Jeff

XL: How to Add a New Category to Function Category List
Last reviewed: February 20, 1998
Article ID: Q137526

Microsoft Excel for Windows, versions 5.0, 5.0c
Microsoft Excel for the Macintosh, version 5.0
Microsoft Excel 98 Macintosh Edition
Microsoft Excel for Windows NT, version 5.0
Microsoft Excel for Windows 95, version 7.0
Microsoft Excel 97 for Windows

SUMMARY
To manually create a custom category for a user-defined function that
you write in Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications, you must insert a
Microsoft Excel 4.0 macro sheet before you create the category.

MORE INFORMATION
To create a custom category, follow these steps:

In Microsoft Excel 97, right-click a sheet tab in the workbook and click
Insert. In Microsoft Excel 98 Macintosh Edition, hold the Control key
and click a sheet tab in the workbook and click Insert. Click MS Excel
4.0 Macro and click OK to add a macro sheet to the workbook.
In Microsoft Excel 5.0 and 7.0, point to Macro on the Insert menu, and
click MS Excel 4.0 Macro to add a macro sheet to the workbook.

On the Insert menu, point to Name, and then click Define. Under Macro,
click Function.

In the Name box, type "TEST1" (without the quotation marks).

In the Category box, replace "User Defined" with the new category, and
then click OK.

Microsoft Excel adds the new category to the list. After you add one or
more custom functions to the new category, you can delete the "TEST1"
function name. When you do this the new category remains. If you delete
the Microsoft Excel 4.0 macro sheet, functions already assigned to the
custom category remain in that category; however, you cannot assign a
new function to that category after you delete the macro sheet.

Excel 97 for Windows and Excel 98 Macintosh Edition
You cannot add a user-defined function to a specific category by
selecting the function in a dialog box. You must use a macro to specify
a category for the function. For additional information, please see the
following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

   ARTICLE-ID:  Q157108
   TITLE     :  Options not Available in Macro Options Dialog Box

Microsoft Excel 5.0 and 7.0
To specify a category for a user-defined function, follow these steps:

With a module sheet active, press F2 to start the Object Browser

Select the workbook in the Libraries/Workbooks list.

Select the custom function in the Methods/Properties list, and then
click Options.

Select the category in the Function Category list, and then click OK.

Click Close to close the Object Browser.