AHDS Summer Newsletter

Alicia Wise <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:54:16 +0100

Apologies for any cross-posting.

The last quarter has been a busy time for the Arts and Humanities
Data Service (AHDS) and the latest developments are reported in our
new web Newsletter 2.2 for Summer 1998 available from
http://ahds.ac.uk/public/newsl2_2.html.

The quarter has seen numerous developments worthy of mention:
*Our first Guide to Good Practice. Focusing on GIS
*Our integrated online catalogue has been delivered and a prototype
will be available for public review and comment in the next few
weeks.
*The user needs workshop series has drawn to a close
*The launch of the History Data Service Great Britain Historical
Online Database.
*The Performing Arts Data Service's new-look web site.
*Our collections, partnerships, and systems continue to develop apace
and are reported under AHDS News.
*In addition, we are using the Newsletter to report a major work
about the importance of digital preservation, and about a British
cultural heritage standards initiative FISHEN being undertaken by
various heritage communities in England.

We have also been involved in a formal external evaluation which will
inform the AHDS and the Joint Information Systems Committee about the
AHDS's future development. Looking to the future, we have entered
into a formal evaluation process which will shape any bid that the
AHDS may make to the JISC or other bodies for continuation
funding beyond July 1999. The evaluation process is reported in the
Newsletter and readers are invited to contribute to it by
sending their comments about the Service, its development and future
direction.
Neil Beagrie                            Tel:   +44 (0)171 873 5076
Collections and Standards Officer       Fax:   +44 (0)171 873 5080
The Executive
Arts and Humanities Data Service        Email: [log in to unmask]
King's College London
Strand, London WC2R 2LS, UK

Alicia L. Wise                            [log in to unmask]
Data Coordinator                       [log in to unmask]
Archaeology Data Service
University of York                     Tel:  (01904) 433954
King's Manor                             Fax:  (01904) 433939
York YO1 7EP
UK

http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/