Help for WEB-ASSISTED-ASSESSMENT Archives

WEB-ASSISTED-ASSESSMENT Archives

WEB-ASSISTED-ASSESSMENT Archives

WEB-ASSISTED-ASSESSMENT@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

WEB-ASSISTED-ASSESSMENT Home

WEB-ASSISTED-ASSESSMENT Home

WEB-ASSISTED-ASSESSMENT  1998

WEB-ASSISTED-ASSESSMENT 1998

Re: Harness Technology - A Macro View

"Emma T. Candy" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:36:50 +0000

Thank you Alan Cummings for your vision.

It is important to think on a macro level rather than every one
working away on developing without really thinking why and how it can
be optimised. I can see why you think that web technology could and
should be harnessed in this way.

BUT
As you can see from the last two responses people just don't like it.

Students probably like it more than teachers but they don't like to
be monitored even if it is for helpful purposes. Learning can be
serendiptious and you should know that sometimes you end going to web
sites that you didn't mean to on your way to something else, you
don't want all your mistakes recorded too.

A lot of people have tried to make all encompasing integrated systems
and sometimes they work, but it is always difficult to find content
for every area of your curriculm. On a practical level, getting
people interested in computer assited learning is a hard and
incremental process, teachers are very resisitant to being dictated
too from on high.

Emma