HUMOUR-RESEARCH  1998

HUMOUR-RESEARCH 1998

New member

Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:35:48 EDT

Dear colleagues, humor researchers:

	My name is Alicja Jarzab. I found about your research community from my
university colleague Linda Milosky and decided to join your listserv.
Let me introduce myself.
 I graduated with honors from Cracow Pedagogical University in Poland in
1993. I began my "career" as a special educator interested in improving
educational experiences for students with chronic illnesses. I have
supported these interests by designing and teaching courses in special
education at the university as well as by working directly with students
with developmental disabilities at Special Center for Students with
Developmental Disabilities in Cracow. I particpated in many workshops
and conferences where I was advocating for the inclusive education in
public schools and in the after-school programs. I designed and
coordined teacher training programs in Poland and USA.
	Currently, I am pursuing a doctoral degree in the field of Special
Education at Syracuse University, New York. One of my areas of interest
is humor perceived by families of children with disabilities.

WHY?????

 Humor has become a core value in our societies. Research has shown its
importance as a social lubricant in work organizations and large groups;
a counseling tool in psychotherapy; and a strategy for coping with the
negative events, to mention ony few of its functions. Yet despite the
proliferation of humor research in past two decades, the research on
family perspectives on humor and its role as a coping strategy while
raising a child with a disability has been given little attention.
	The purpose of my dissertation research is to explore this new
territory. I would like to learn more about family-like sense of humor?
What are the things that make these families laugh when they laugh?
What are the boundaries between laughing at and laughing with?  Who
should set up these boundaries when a disability is in a place? What's
the meaning of humor across different disabilities? Can we talk about
inside "disabled humor"?
	I hope that by doing my research and joining your community I would be
able to find answers for at least some of these questions. I will be
happy to hear from you about this topic as a humor reseach and any
assistance in building bibliography in this area.

Thank you for your attention and any future comments.

Alicja

Alicja Jarzab
Teaching & Leadership Programs
School of Education