BRITISH-IRISH-POETS Archives

BRITISH-IRISH-POETS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITISH-IRISH-POETS Home

BRITISH-IRISH-POETS  1998

BRITISH-IRISH-POETS 1998

Re: jollifications

Karlien van den Beukel <[log in to unmask]>

Karlien van den Beukel <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Apr 1998 00:23:21 +0100 (BST)

TEXT/PLAIN

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Keston Sutherland wrote:

> Looking forward to seeing all those in Cambridge for cccp - I'll have an
> unattended college room at Caius, maybe we can engineer some order of
> indifference-suspension ("temporarily lax grin suppression"), how are you
> all?  Are you still willing to write to me, Karlien, or are we exaddressbookees?
> Ian - do you have those thoughts on Drew's essay?   K.

          CCCP LAX GRIN SURPRESSION: A PROGRAMME ADVERTISEMENT

  "The initiation into this esoteric anatomical science is expensive, but
   economical in result; for it places at the disposal of the individuals,
   a permanent principle for the independent conservation of beauty to
   which, once it is mastered, they have constant and natural resource."

  from Mina Loy's "Auto-Facial-Construction" (The Lost Lunar Baedaker,
  Noonday Press, 1996)

What mode matters (ionan or tripe) or are we royal apocrypha? We shall
wear the nitwits in our hair (envoied by the amber rose) & speech as usual
a wish to be twinned with exes for our medallion contours. The eulisian
mysteries call for tea-rose thoughts & ours arose at teatime. The
library! Gone the nine men morris, the cap of indices, Orlanda, all filled
with mudpacks. Rosary for the Lady Valentine, she of the Dome's day book,
& Barbara whose name the unelect of promise for mascara & royal jelly did
forget, & Diana Fleet of Street, & Veronica whose double life as a forest
and a half drum-offspring did augur the feast that you will be flying
to of now! O phenomenology, your vowels-consontant patterns exercise the
labial musculature to permanent aesthetic rictus! We praise the phrase
phenomenology for the value it gives to our face (it gives us face) and if
aufhebungerlossungsgeschichte gives us more face we shall use it too!
Amidst the natural resource surrounds of neoclassical architecture (some)
and those capability how now brown cows grazing on artful situated hillocks,
learn of auto-facial-construction, the art of the stiff upper lip,
& sing of lousy braids, worn at bedtime with Jules Laforgue's cold-cream,
we grace all those phrases, and more too. Keston shall engineer the
"temporary lax grin surpression" (in the college room opposite to "En
Plein Publique") & Drew to provide the apophatic theology. To CCCP!

Karlien