Help for DIS-FORUM Archives

DIS-FORUM Archives

DIS-FORUM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DIS-FORUM Home

DIS-FORUM  1996

DIS-FORUM 1996

Re: PC for dyslexic student - suggestions?

Ted Pottage <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Oct 1996 23:41:26 +0000 (GMT)

TEXT/PLAIN

On Wed 30 Oct, Barbara Corcoran wrote:
> Additional hardware/software to be added to your standard configuration of PC
> I would recommend a Sound Blaster AWE sound card with text reading software,
> 'Voice Recognition' software, DragonDictate, Kurzweil Voice or VoicePad, or
> IBM Voice Type, from Iansyst or Talking Technologies Ltd.

'Voice to text' is still cutting edge technology, I liked the comparison
between it and 'text to speech' as the difference between fillaing a
toothpaste tube via the nozzle and squeezing the paste out the normal way.

This is an area where you should (the end-user should) talk to as many
people who already use different systems and have already found the
advantages and drawbacks of each. If you are using any kind of grant money
you cannot afford to make expensive mistakes on the basis of optomistic
sales talk.

Regards

Ted

--
Ted Pottage.  Chairman, BDA (British Dyslexia Association) Computer Committee

          See our *NEW* site -> http://www.bda-dyslexia.org.uk/
                       we're A1 at BETT'97 too.