Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  May 2019

PHD-DESIGN May 2019

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Research Studies, Research Methods

Lubomir Savov Popov <[log in to unmask]>

PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 May 2019 14:04:41 +0000

Dear Ken,

I believe I read your message the right way, but also got my own interpretation. In addition to your view of research approaches as lenses for observing and seeing the world in more detail, I see in your paragraph a message about the nature of truth. This grab my attention in your post and in the actual article.

There is truth, and there is only one truth. But it is not fully attainable. All we can do is reach the best approximations in our time. With each successful research step we come closer and closer to the truth, but we would never be able to fully understand the world. I am not propagating agnosticism. History of science has numerous records of this phenomenon. And this is a major tenet about truth in Historical Materialist gnoseology/epistemology.

That was my take from the article. A lesson that we gradually move towards the core of truth, in a painstakingly hard way, moving very slowly, step by step.

If we look at our knowledge in the basic sciences, it is shockingly inaccurate. No matter what is written in the high school textbooks, most of these positions are temporary conventions. It is shocking that medical practice is built on questionable knowledge. If we follow history of medicine since the industrial revolution, we will see that most of that time, and even now, it is an art based on many false convictions and a lot of personal experience and intuition. And we are talking about a practice that is proud with extensive use of the most develop sciences, the natural sciences. So much about human knowledge, ability to understand, and the current state of science.

Best wishes,

Lubo

Lubomir Popov, PhD

Professor, Bowling Green State University

419.372.7835