Help for NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Home

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  May 2019

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING May 2019

For the Time Being | Opening Reception on 9 MAY, 2019

Sitara Chowfla <[log in to unmask]>

Sitara Chowfla <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 May 2019 09:24:11 +0100

Dear all,

We we would like to share some information about our Snapchat Exhibition
'For the Time Being', curated as part of the Royal College of Art's MA
Graduate Program in Curating. The project interrogates Snapchat as a site
for dissemination of media-content, and a site through which we can explore
the condition of digital photography and social media in the 21st century.
The program features 5 contemporary artists / artists groups who will be
creating live performances of photo and video on Snapchat from May 8 - 12.
Some elements of the program will take place at The Photographers' Gallery.

We would love if some members of this group checked out the program online
and gave some feedback on this curatorial experiment.

If you are based in London, please do join our event at The Photographers'
Gallery Tomorrow!

Best,

Sitara Chowfla

(on behalf of Hang Li, Caroline Rosello, Rachel Chiodo, Esther Moderdler
and Carlos Pinto - students of the Royal College of Art, MA Curating
Contemporary Art Program 2017 -2019)

You're invited to Royal College of Art, CCA Graduate Exhibition

8 - 12 MAY 2019
You are invited to *For the Time Being*, a programme of photo-performance
featuring Agil Abdullayev, Max Grau, Tamara Kametani, Feng Mengbo
and Agorama (a collective of creative practitioners).

*Follow the project on Snapchat at @timebeinglive
<https://www.snapchat.com/add/timebeinglive>*

*Join us at The Photographers’ Gallery, London on Thursday, 09 May 2019,
18.30 - 20.30 for a lecture performance by
<https://thephotographersgallery.org.uk/maxgrau>Max Grau, followed by an
opening reception (Click here
<https://thephotographersgallery.org.uk/maxgrau> to book this free event)*

For the Time Being
<https://thephotographersgallery.org.uk/for-the-time-being>is an
experimental programme of photo-performance, conceived as a response to the
everyday presence of social media. The project invites 5 international
contemporary artists to reflect on the role of image sharing networks in
their personal lives. Through a series of on and offline events and
performances, the artists will interrogate the way in which popular apps
like Snapchat, Whatsapp and Instagram have affected understandings of
intimacy, digital connectedness and notions of personal and collective
memory.

In addition to the curated programme, media theorist Katharina Niemeyer,
curator Prayas Abhinav, digital curator Katrina Sluis, and the winner of
our teen-writing competition have been invited to contribute
micro-essays that extend the themes of nostalgia, memory and social media.
Texts and contributions can be found on the project website.

This programme is curated by six postgraduate students seeking to explore
the shifting responsibilities of institutions in this networked age, as
part of the MA Curating Contemporary Art Programme Graduate Projects 2019
<https://www.rca.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/rca-ma-curating-contemporary-art-announces-2019-graduate-projects/>
at Royal College of Art, London.

Curated by Rachel Chiodo, Sitara Chowfla, Hang Li, Esther Moerdler, Carlos
Pinto and Caroline Rosello

*Programme Schedule*

*ERANDA STUDIO, THE PHOTOGRAPHERS' GALLERY*

*bbBbddDdyYyy_ssssss_a_cCccCAAaGGgee, Max Grau*
09 MAY, 18.30 - 19.30, lecture - performance followed by opening reception
Free, booking required <https://thephotographersgallery.org.uk/maxgrau>
*bbBbddDdyYyy_ssssss_a_cCccCAAaGGgee* will explore the influences of social
media upon our everyday communications and self-identities. Interweaving
slides, speech, video clips and music, Max Grau will unfold a series of
interactions with his ‘avatar’, inhabited on Snapchat.

*Moses the Lonely Londoner, Agorama 11 - 12 MAY, 10.00 - 18.00, interactive
installation*
Click here
<https://moses-aloetta.agorama.org.uk/?fbclid=IwAR1bmpOwcEVnXKEZR3T2STSeQvTkdVgFhKrkge-PFUuK5WtYRrJbarGKYHk>
to chat with Moses the Chatbot
Drawing parallels between the loneliness expressed in Sam Selvon’s 1950s
London in The Lonely Londoners and the notions of isolation propelled by
Social Media, users are invited to connect with Moses on their mobile
device share content with him and enter his telecocoon. A virtual mosaic
featuring images, videos, and gifs shared with Moses online will be
comprised and presented in the gallery’s physical space.

Please Note: The Photographers’ Gallery is open on Saturday, 10.00 – 18.00
and Sunday, 11.00 – 18.00 PM. Exhibition Day Pass £5/£2.50 Concessions.
Free from 17.00 until close.

*SNAPCHAT PROGRAMME*
(daily online performance from 8 - 12 MAY)

*23.00 - 03.00* Feng Mengbo, *The Big Collector Feng Mengbo*

*08.00 - 09.00 *Tamara Kametani, *what will be?*

*13.00 - 14.00* Agil Abdullayev, *Rashida from Baku*

*14.00 - 17.00 *Agorama, *Moses the Lonely Londoner *(11 & 12 MAY only)

*18.00 - 19.00* Max Grau, *bbBbddDdyYyy_ssssss_a_cCccCAAaGGgee*

*19.00 - 20.00 *Tamara Kametani, *what will be?*

* all timings in GMT

To watch the stream, open Snapchat and scan the code below from your
Snapchat camera or your photo album.

<https://gallery.mailchimp.com/1eef4044bd6695b49106eea1d/images/aafc7922-1e08-401f-9225-38a317501c54.png>

*---*

*The Photographers’ Gallery, 16-18 Ramillies St, Soho, London W1F 7LW*

*www.forthetimebeing.co.uk <http://www.forthetimebeing.co.uk>*