Re: Right to work checks

Derek Robbins <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 12 Aug 2018 14:48:29 +0000

text/plain

Like Kate - I was required to send a passport and undertake a conference call after  it’s receipt (and that was for a validation event).

I was not prepared to do that in the height of summer with overseas trips approaching but the institution was prepared to accept an expired passport ( not over 5 years since expiring if I recall) which I was much more relaxed about.

However in response to Philip’s question, yes I would expect an impact on recruitment. I for one am not prepared to forward my passport (following a previous unfortunate experience) but have been prepared to accommodate reasonable alternatives (birth certificates, documents showing NI numbers and now expired passports).

I am perhaps surprised that there has not been any sort of concerted collective protest  / action by Academics to encourage universities to standardise procedures at the reasonable (rather than draconian) end of the scale.  UCU ?

Derek

Sent from my iPad