The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  December 2017

DISABILITY-RESEARCH December 2017

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: accessibility books etc

Dieuwertje Dyi Huijg <[log in to unmask]>

Dieuwertje Dyi Huijg <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Dec 2017 19:15:27 +0000

text/plain

people in the UK/EU can request an accessible copy of (their) book. when my vision was worse, i actually have done it for a book from Cambridge Press and they sent me a CD or DVD or so. so presumably they can send it differently as well.

http://www.copyrightuser.org/understand/exceptions/disability/
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions-to-copyright

possibly they will send it to Australia - not that it resolves the accessibility issue at large.

re the bookshare project: there is a bookshare in the UK https://www.bookshare.org/cms/country/UK as well as in Australia: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/bookshare-australia
though, if i recall correctly, i couldn't have access at the time because i was not registered as visually/vision impaired.

re the issue of cost of a book: not all publishers charge the same price, so this can be influenced to some extent - also re the publication of paperbacks and ebooks. i know this because others have done it, but admittedly i've never published myself - so there's that.

Best wishes,

Dyi

D. Dyi Huijg
PhD Candidate in Sociology, University of Manchester
http://manchester.academia.edu/DieuwertjeDyiHuijg