Re: New Media (Public) Art

Simon Biggs <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 16 Dec 2017 23:39:08 +1030

text/plain

In 2004 I developed a ‘permanent’ new media art work for a new building in London. It was commissioned before the building was built so that the systems in the work could be integrated during construction. The work inhabited a number of spaces in the building and was interactive with a lot of the activity within it - both in terms of control systems and the material the system worked with (all of which was live). That meant miles of Cat 6 cabling encased in the concrete superstructure, along with everything else. It meant meetings with the architects and the engineers two years before the work went live. Project budget was six figures (GBP).

When it came to contracts we agreed a five year maintenance clause. The system employed a mixture of LED screens, projection systems, video and IR based sensing and live capture systems and a few computers. Within two years one of the computers had a meltdown, which left part of the work out of commission whilst it was replaced (that took about three months). Soon after there was a leak in the concrete substrate and two of the projectors died as a result. Two new projectors (with modified installation to ensure any future leak would not affect them) were installed within a couple of months. The clients were always responsive and timelines were down to technical constraints (eg: matching computers and projectors like for like, to ensure systems compliance, two or three years after commissioning is tricky).

For five years I had a VPN connection to all the systems in the building, so I could monitor and manage them from my studio (wherever that might be). I would check in once or twice a week, look at the systems, observe the live feeds, watch people interacting with the work. Most of the time the systems were working fine. Sometimes I would have to re-boot a machine. A few times, over the five years, I had to request engineers to get their cherrypickers to adjust camera angles for the capture and sensing systems (they were 6 metres above the floor and hard to get at and would, over time, droop a bit). The clients always responded and we would undertake maintenance, over the phone, with the engineers up their cherrypicker and me watching live on VPN. It wasn’t straightforward, but it worked. A couple of times I had to travel to London to oversee some trickier maintenance.

After 5 years the systems were still working. Around 2011 the 2008 crash got the better of the client. They downsized, vacating part of the building, including the part that had my work in it. After that I lost contact with the work. I have no idea what its current state might be. The work functioned most of the time for 7 years. Given the commissioning budget plus the cost of maintenance over that period the piece probably cost the client around GBP £30k a year. I doubt anybody ever thought that was good value. I assume the clients saw it as a write-down, not so much for tax but a kind of cultural investment/apology.

I’m always surprised when people approach me to commission new media works because I know that financially it is a really bad idea, especially as there is more or less a 100% chance the work will be redundant, offline and non-functional within five years or so. I’m working on one right now ;)

best

Simon

Simon Biggs
http://www.littlepig.org.uk