PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  November 2017

PHD-DESIGN November 2017

Re: Embodied Design Thinking

"Morris, Merry Lynn" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 25 Nov 2017 01:25:46 +0000

Thanks for sharing this writing, Jerry. I appreciate your insights into embodied design thinking, offering interesting themes to consider. In my own work, I also have drawn upon Johnson's text, The Meaning of the Body, for my movement-related inquiries into design.

Ultimately, I mounted the case for an Embodied Socio-Spatial Design paradigm which situates the moving body in space as the primary meaning-making agent for thinking about design. I am a choreographer and dance/movement educator and have worked in academia for 20 years. In many ways, we (dance practitioners) explicitly enact embodied design as part of our regular practice. Our knowing and our creating emerges out of the body's nuanced, qualitative physicality (a kind of refined kinesthetic literacy, if you will, or, perhaps in relation to your article, a manifestation of the fusion of embodied mind and embodied meaning).

This direction of thinking led me to design/develop a wheelchair for dance in which socio-spatial power dynamics were considered (i.e., spatially isolating hierarchies for wheelchair users such as in the types of frames, the spatial engagement options, and the limited movement trajectories, etc.). We always must ask what types of spaces certain bodies are permitted to move in and why, based on their design.
My work is also on my academia.edu page here: https://usf.academia.edu/MerryMorris

Best,

Merry Lynn

Merry Lynn Morris, MFA, PhD
Assistant Director and Faculty
School of Theatre and Dance
College of the Arts
University of South Florida

American Ballet Theatre® Nationally Certified Teacher