Help for SPORT-MED Archives

SPORT-MED Archives

SPORT-MED@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

SPORT-MED Home

SPORT-MED  October 2017

SPORT-MED October 2017

[webdev] Web Design Update: October 26, 2017

"David P. Dillard" <[log in to unmask]>

To support research in sports medicine <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 28 Oct 2017 12:23:00 -0400

.

.

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 06:34:24 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
To: webdev <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: October 26, 2017

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 16, Issue 18, October 26, 2017.

design and development.

++ISSUE 18 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: COLOR.

04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

05: EVENTS.

06: HTML.

07: MISCELLANEOUS.

08: NAVIGATION.

09: TOOLS.

10: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Stop Designing For Only 85% Of Users: Nailing Accessibility In Design

By Tom Graham & André Gonçalves.

"As designers, we like to think we are solution-based. But whereas we
wouldn't hesitate to call out a museum made inaccessible by a lack of
wheelchair ramps, many of us still remain somewhat oblivious to flaws
in our user interfaces. Poor visual design, in particular, can be a
barrier…"

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/10/nailing-accessibility-design/

Trends That Exclude

By Hampus Sethfors.

Here is why trends often hurt the user experience and exclude users
with disabilities

https://axesslab.com/trends/

Creating Accessible React Apps

By Scott Vinkle.

"Scott takes us through a detailed and timely tutorial on creating
accessible React apps

http://simplyaccessible.com/article/react-a11y/

Making Videos Accessible (Video)

By DOIT Center, University of Washington.

"This video describes key elements to consider when making a video, so
that it is accessible to all viewers. This includes captioning, audio
description, and pre-production techniques and considerations…"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxFfn5Reg2g

A Quantitative Analysis of WCAG 2.0 Compliance For Some Indian Web Portals

By Manas Ranjan Patra, Amar Ranjan Dash, and Prasanna Kumar Mishra.

"…In this paper, we have studied the compliance of WCAG 2.0 by three
different categories of Indian web sites which are most frequently
accessed by a large section of user community. We have provided a
quantitative evaluation of different aspects of accessibility which we
believe can pave the way for better design of web sites by taking care
of the deficiencies inherent in the web portals…"

https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.08788

eQuality The Right to the Web (PDF)

By Peter Blanck.

"This chapter and the book it is based upon, eQuality: The Struggle
for Web Accessibility by Persons with Cognitive Disabilities (2014,
Cambridge University Press), was spurred several years ago by Dr.
David Braddock, Executive Director of the Coleman Institute for
Cognitive Disabilities…"

http://bbi.syr.edu/about/team/Leadership_Team/eQuality-
WebAccessibilityAshgateCompanionChapter-updated031017-web.pdf

Accessibility Legal Update with Lainey Feingold (Video)

By Lainey Feingold.

Lainey's October 19, 2017 presentation at the Chicago Digital
Accessibility & Inclusive Design Group. Lanny starts speaking approx
7:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNHJAJSqYA8

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

The New CSS Layout, An Excerpt

By Rachel Andrew.

"As we have seen, flexbox wasn't designed for grid layouts-but this is
where our newest specification is most at home…"

https://alistapart.com/article/the-new-css-layout-excerpt

The Story of CSS Grid, From Its Creators

By Aaron Gustafson.

"Designers have used grids for centuries. And after more than 20 years
of waiting, they are finally here for the browser. This is the story
of CSS Grid. It took a lot of people in the right place and at the
right time to make it happen…"

https://alistapart.com/article/the-story-of-css-grid-from-its-creators

Reboot, Resets, and Reasoning

By Chris Coyier.

"…A CSS reset would apply new padding to that element, so that all
browsers are consistent about what they apply…"

https://css-tricks.com/reboot-resets-reasoning/

5 Reasons Against Resets, Normalizers, Reboots

By Jens Oliver Meiert.

"The problem? Resets and normalizers (and reboots) aren't needed at all…"

https://meiert.com/en/blog/reasons-against-resets/

+03: COLOR.

Understanding Colourblindness

By Matthew Higgins.

"Some peoples' eyes can't tell the difference between certain colours;
that's not to say they see everything in greyscale. Total colour
blindness is very rare in humans…"

http://a11yproject.com/posts/understanding-colourblindness/

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

A/B Testing - You're Doing it Wrong

By Justin Baker.

"How to effectively A/B test in a way that drives long-lasting results…"

https://hackernoon.com/a-b-testing-youre-doing-it-wrong-77d628ac9518

How Quantitative UX Research Differs from Data Analytics

By Duyen Mary Nguyen.

"Besides several similarities, there are 4 major distinctions between
these two roles…"

https://medium.com/facebook-research/
how-quantitative-ux-research-differs-from-data-analytics-1bbf0903768b

The UX-ification of Research

By Simon Roberts.

"…Research has become less about questioning underlying assumptions
and engaging with the complexity of culture and more about testing and
validating objects and artifacts…"

http://www.stripepartners.com/the-ux-ification-of-research/

9 Recommendations for Better Online Research

By Jeff Sauro.

"…Part of our process for delivering effective research is spending
enough time up front on issues that affect the quality of results.
Here are our nine recommendations for conducting better online
research…"

https://measuringu.com/better-research/

What We Think Are Facts are Often Wrong

By Gerry McGovern.

"…So much of what we think we know is true is not. The Web gives us
tools to verify and validate, to develop hypotheses and theories and
then test them. We should focus less on knowing the answer and more on
knowing how to get the answer."

http://gerrymcgovern.com/what-we-think-are-facts-are-often-wrong/

+05: EVENTS.

Accessible Learning Conference
December 1-2, 2017.
East Lansing, Michigan, U.S.A.
http://accessiblelearning.org/

Script '18
January 19, 2018.
Linz, Austria
https://scriptconf.org/

World IA Day
February 18, 2018.
Everywhere.
http://worldiaday.org/

Los Angeles UX Conference
February 25-March 2, 2018.
Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
https://www.nngroup.com/training/los-angeles/

+06: HTML.

Heading Headache

By Nicolas Steenhout.

"…Use existing HTML tags whenever possible. Don't try and make them
behave differently than what they are supposed to. Keep it simple,
eh?…"

http://incl.ca/heading-headache/

HTML5 abbr Attribute

By Rakesh Paladugula.

"This article on HTML5 abbr attribute is part of the series of
articles we want to post on HTML5 attributes and elements that impact
accessibility…"

http://www.maxability.co.in/2017/10/html5-abbr-attribute/

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

Amuse UX: The Art of Noise (Keep Talking)

By Léonie Watson.

"Amuse UX conference 2017 was held at the Hungarian Train Museum in Budapest…"

https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2017/10/
amuse-ux-the-art-of-noise-keep-talking/

A Look Back at the History of CSS

By Jason Hoffman.

"When you think of HTML and CSS, you probably imagine them as a
package deal. But for years after Tim Berners-Lee first created the
World Wide Web in 1989, there was no such thing as CSS. The original
plan for the web offered no way to style a website at all…"

https://css-tricks.com/look-back-history-css/

Regaining Sight?

By Léonie Watson.

"People often presume I would jump at the chance to be able to see
again. The fact of the matter is that I really don't know whether I
would or not, because there is more to it than you might think…"

https://tink.uk/regaining-sight/

+08: NAVIGATION.

Don't Use ARIA Menu Roles for Site Nav

By Adrian Roselli.

"…A properly-coded web page navigation menu needs no ARIA. Once you
add ARIA, however, you have put yourself on the hook to handle some
complex interactions…"

http://adrianroselli.com/2017/10/
dont-use-aria-menu-roles-for-site-nav.html

How Links in Headers, Footers, Content, and Navigation Can Impact SEO

By Rand Fishkin.

"Which link is more valuable: the one in your nav, or the one in the
content of your page?…"

https://moz.com/blog/links-headers-footers-navigation-impact-seo

+09: TOOLS.

Funkify

By Axess Lab.

"Funkify is a brand new plugin for Chrome that helps you experience
the web and interfaces through the eyes of extreme users with
different abilities and disabilities…"

http://www.funkify.org/

Intro to the Accessibility Inspector Tool for iOS Native Apps

By Chris McMeeking.

"…This tool is great because it comes with your iOS toolchain and will
test for VoiceOver, switch controls, braille boards, and other
alternative input devices…"

https://www.deque.com/blog/
intro-accessibility-inspector-tool-ios-native-apps/

+10: USABILITY.

Horizontal Attention Leans Left

By Raluca Budiu.

"Web users spend 80% of their time viewing the left half of the page
and 20% viewing the right half. Adhering to design conventions will
help maximize users' efficiency and company profits."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/horizontal-attention-leans-left/

Horizontal Scroll in App Design, Why Is It Worthy of Attention?

By Trista liu.

"…Though Horizontal Scrolling Lists does present more content on one
page, problems concerning good user experience also arise, such as
poor visibility, priority chaos, and mixed content…"

https://blog.prototypr.io/horizontal-scroll-in-app-design-
why-is-it-worthy-of-attention-b316c8d6157f

The Key to Effective UI Design Is Spoilers

By Ben Moss.

"…Telling stories is the antithesis of effective design, because
stories by their nature, pander to the unknown elements in an
experience. Design, by contrast, seeks to eliminate the unknown by
clarifying…"

https://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2017/10/
how-spoiling-the-ending-improves-ux/

The Endless Battle: User-Centered Versus Designer-Centered

By Alan Cooper.

"…Doing real interaction design means subordinating your clever
inventiveness to the needs of your user…"

https://medium.com/@MrAlanCooper/the-endless-battle-575f4282ffe5

You Are Not the User: The False-Consensus Effect

By Therese Fessenden.

"Designers, developers, and even UX researchers fall prey to the
false-consensus effect, projecting their behaviors and reactions onto
users."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/false-consensus/

Usefulness, Utility, Usability: Why They Matter (Video)

By Jakob Nielsen.

"For products to be useful, they must have both utility and usability."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwgZtqTQzg8

Combining Graphical And Voice Interfaces For A Better User Experience

By David Pasztor.

"With the appearance of voice user interfaces, AI and chatbots, what
is the future of​graphical user interfaces (GUIs)?…"

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/10/
combining-graphical-voice-interfaces/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson