Intro course 'Python for biologists'

Oliver Hooker <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Oct 2017 16:25:19 +0100

text/plain

INTRODUCTION TO PYTHON FOR BIOLOGISTS

http://www.prinformatics.com/course/introduction-to-python-for-biologists-ipyb04/

This course is being delivered by Dr Martin Jones, an expert in Python and author of two text books,

Python for Biologists [http://www.amazon.com/Python-Biologists-complete-programming-beginners/dp/1492346136/]

Advanced Python for Biologists [http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Python-Biologists-Martin-Jones/dp/1495244377/].

Prices start at £475 and accommodation packages can be added for an additional £260, includes all meals and accommodation on site for the week, arrival Sunday before the course starts)

Course overview: Python is a dynamic, readable language that is a popular platform for all types of bioinformatics work, from simple one-off scripts to large, complex software projects. This workshop is aimed at complete beginners and assumes no prior programming experience. It gives an overview of the language with an emphasis on practical problem-solving, using examples and exercises drawn from various aspects of bioinformatics work. After completing the workshop, students should be in a position to (1) apply the skills they have learned to tackle problems in their own research and (2) continue their Python education in a self-directed way.
Intended audience:

This workshop is aimed at all researchers and technical workers with a background in biology who want to learn programming. The syllabus has been planned with complete beginners in mind; people with previous programming experience are welcome to attend as a refresher but may find the pace a bit slow.
Teaching format:

The workshop is delivered over ten half-day sessions (see the detailed curriculum below). Each session consists of roughly a one hour lecture followed by two hours of practical exercises, with breaks at the organizer’s discretion. There will also be plenty of time for students to discuss their own problems and data.

Assumed background:
Students should have enough biological background to appreciate the examples and exercise problems (i.e. they should know about DNA and protein sequences, what translation is, and what introns and exons are). No previous programming experience or computer skills (beyond the ability to use a text editor) are necessary, but you'll need to have a laptop with Python installed.

Curriculum:

Monday 27th
Module 1: Introduction.
We will start with a general introduction to Python and explain why it is useful and how learning to program can benefit your research. Some time will be taken to explain the format of the course. We will outline the edit-run-fix cycle of software development and talk about how to avoid common text editing errors. In this session, we also check that the computing infrastructure for the rest of the course is in place. Core concepts introduced: source code; text editors; whitespace; syntax and syntax error; and Python versions.

Module 2: Output and text manipulation.
This session will show students how to write very simple programs that produce output to the terminal and in doing so become comfortable with editing and running Python code. This session also introduces many of the technical terms that we’ll rely on in future sessions. We will run through some examples of tools for working with text and show how they work in the context of biological sequence manipulation. We also cover different types of errors and error messages and learn how to go about fixing them methodically. Core concepts introduced: terminals; standard output; variables and naming; strings and characters; special characters; output formatting; statements; functions; methods; arguments; comments.

Tuesday 28th
Module 3: File IO and user interfaces.
We will discuss about the importance of files in bioinformatics pipelines and workflows during this session, and we then explore the Python interfaces for reading from and writing to files. This involves introducing the idea of types and objects and a bit of discussion about how Python interacts with the operating system. The practical session is spent combining the techniques from session 2 with the file IO tools to create basic file-processing scripts. Core concepts introduced: objects and classes; paths and folders; relationships between variables and values; text and binary files; newlines.

Module 4: Flow control 1: loops.
A discussion of the limitations of the techniques learned in session 3 quickly reveals that flow control is required to write more sophisticated file-processing programs, at this point we will progress on to the concept of loops. We look at the way in which Python loops work, and how they can be used in a variety of contexts. We explore the use of loops and lists together to tackle some more difficult problems. Core concepts introduced: lists and arrays; blocks and indentation; variable scoping; iteration and the iteration interface; ranges.

Wednesday 29th
Module 5: Flow control 2: conditionals.
We will use the idea of decision-making in session 5 as a way to introduce conditional tests and outline the different building-blocks of conditions before showing how conditions can be combined in an expressive way. We look at the different ways that we can use conditions to control program flow, and how we can structure conditions to keep programs readable. Core concepts introduced: Truth and falsehood; Boolean logic; identity and equality; evaluation of statements; branching.

Module 6: Organizing and structuring code.
In session 6 we will discuss functions that we would like to see in Python before considering how we can add to our computational toolbox by creating our own. We examine the nuts and bolts of writing functions before looking at best-practice ways of making them usable. We also look at a couple of advanced features of Python – named arguments and defaults. Core concepts introduced: argument passing; encapsulation; data flow through a program.

Thursday 30th
Module 7: Regular expressions.
A range of common problems in bioinformatics can be described in terms of pattern matching; we will discuss these and give an overview of Python’s regex tools. We look at the building blocks of regular expressions themselves, and learn how they are a general solution to the problem of describing patterns in strings, before practising writing some specific examples of regular expressions. Core concepts introduced: domain-specific languages; sessions and namespaces.

Module 8: Dictionaries.
We discuss a few examples of key-value data and see how the problem of storing them is a common one across bioinformatics and programming in general. We learn about the syntax for dictionary creation and manipulation before talking about the situations in which dictionaries are a better fit that the data structures we have learned about thus far. Core concepts introduced: paired data types; hashing; key uniqueness; argument unpacking and tuples.

Friday 1st
Module 9: Interaction with the file system.
In the final session e discuss the role of Python in the context of a bioinformatics workflow, and how it is often used as a language to “glue” various other components together. We then look at the Python tools for carrying out file and directory manipulation, and for running external programs – two tasks that are often necessary in order to integrate our own programs with existing ones. Core concepts introduced: processes and sub-processes; the shell and shell utilities; program return values.

Please email any inquiries to [log in to unmask] or visit our website www.prinformatics.com

Please feel free to distribute this material anywhere you feel is suitable
other courses

1.       ECOLOGICAL NICHE MODELLING USING R #ENMR

16th – 20th October 2017, SCENE, Scotland, Dr. Neftali Sillero

http://www.prstatistics.com/course/ecological-niche-modelling-using-r-enmr01/

2.       INTRODUCTION TO BIOINFORMATICS USING LINUX #IBUL

16th – 20th October, SCENE, Scotland, Dr. Martin Jones

https://www.prinformatics.com/course/introduction-to-bioinformatics-using-linux-ibul02/

3.       REPRODUCIBLE DATA SCIENCE FOR POPULATION GENETICS #RDPG

23rd – 27th October 2017, Wales, Dr. Thibaut Jombart, Zhian Kavar

https://www.prstatistics.com/course/reproducible-data-science-for-population-genetics-rdpg01/

4.       STRUCTURAL EQUATION MODELLING FOR ECOLOGISTS AND EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGISTS USING R #SEMR

23rd – 27th October 2017, Wales, Prof Jarrett Byrnes, Dr. Jon Lefcheck

http://www.prstatistics.com/course/structural-equation-modelling-for-ecologists-and-evolutionary-biologists-semr01/

5.       LANDSCAPE (POPULATION) GENETIC DATA ANALYSIS USING R #LNDG

6th – 10th November 2017, Wales, Prof. Rodney Dyer

http://www.prstatistics.com/course/landscape-genetic-data-analysis-using-r-lndg02/

6.       APPLIED BAYESIAN MODELLING FOR ECOLOGISTS AND EPIDEMIOLOGISTS #ABME

20th - 25th November 2017, SCENE, Scotland, Dr. Matt Denwood

http://www.prstatistics.com/course/applied-bayesian-modelling-ecologists-epidemiologists-abme03/

7.       INTRODUCTION TO PYTHON FOR BIOLOGISTS #IPYB

27th Nov – 1st Dec, Wales, Dr. Martin Jones

http://www.prinformatics.com/course/introduction-to-python-for-biologists-ipyb04/

8.       ADVANCING IN STATISTICAL MODELLING USING R #ADVR

4th - 8th December 2017, Wales, Dr. Luc Bussiere, Dr. Tom Houslay, Dr. Ane Timenes Laugen,

http://www.prstatistics.com/course/advancing-statistical-modelling-using-r-advr07/

9.       INTRODUCTION TO BAYESIAN HIERARCHICAL MODELLING #IBHM

29th Jan – 2nd Feb 2018, SCENE, Scotland, Dr. Andrew Parnell

http://www.prstatistics.com/course/introduction-to-bayesian-hierarchical-modelling-using-r-ibhm02/

10.    PHYLOGENETIC DATA ANALYSIS USING R #PHYL

28th Jan – Feb 2nd 2018, SCENE, Scotland, Dr. Emmanuel Paradis

https://www.prstatistics.com/course/introduction-to-phylogenetic-analysis-with-r-phyg-phyl02/

11.    MOVEMENT ECOLOGY #MOVE

19th – 23rd February 2018, Wales, Dr Luca Borger, Dr Ronny Wilson, Dr Jonathan Potts

https://www.prstatistics.com/course/movement-ecology-move01/

12.    GEOMETRIC MORPHOMETRICS USING R #GMMR

19th – 23rd February 2018, Wales, Prof. Dean Adams, Prof. Michael Collyer, Dr. Antigoni Kaliontzopoulou

http://www.prstatistics.com/course/geometric-morphometrics-using-r-gmmr01/

13.    FUNCTIONAL ECOLOGY FROM ORGANISM TO ECOSYSTEM: THEORY AND COMPUTATION #FEER

5th – 9th March 2018, SCENE, Scotland, Dr. Francesco de Bello, Dr. Lars Götzenberger, Dr. Carlos Carmona

http://www.prstatistics.com/course/functional-ecology-from-organism-to-ecosystem-theory-and-computation-feer01/

14.    SPATIAL PRIORITIZATION USING MARXAN #MRXN

5th - 9th March 2018, Wales, Jennifer McGowan

https://www.prstatistics.com/course/introduction-to-marxan-mrxn01/

15.    ECOLOGICAL NICHE MODELLING USING R #ENMR

12th - 16th March 2018, SCENE, Scotland, Dr. Neftali Sillero

http://www.prstatistics.com/course/ecological-niche-modelling-using-r-enmr02/

16.    BEHAVIOURAL DATA ANALYSIS USING MAXIMUM LIKLIHOOD IN R #BDML

19th – 23rd March 2018, Scotland, Dr William Hoppitt

COMING SOON  www.PSstatistics.com

17.    NETWORK ANAYLSIS FOR ECOLOGISTS USING R #NTWA

9th – 13th April 2018, SCENE, Scotland, Dr. Marco Scotti

https://www.prstatistics.com/course/network-analysis-ecologists-ntwa02/

18.    INTRODUCTION TO STATISTICAL MODELLING FOR PSYCHOLOGISTS USING R #IPSY

16th – 20th April 2018, SCENE, Scotland, Dr. Dale Barr, Dr Luc Bussierre

COMING SOON  www.PSstatistics.com

19.    MULTIVARIATE ANALYSIS OF ECOLOGICAL COMMUNITIES USING THE VEGAN PACKAGE #VGNR

23rd – 27th April 2018, SCENE, Scotland, Dr. Peter Solymos, Dr. Guillaume Blanchet

https://www.prstatistics.com/course/multivariate-analysis-of-ecological-communities-in-r-with-the-vegan-package-vgnr01/

20.    QUANTITATIVE GEOGRAPHIC ECOLOGY: MODELING GENOMES, NICHES, AND COMMUNITIES #QGER

30th April – 4th May 2018, SCENE, Scotland, Dr. Dan Warren, Dr. Matt Fitzpatrick

COMING SOON  www.PRstatistics.com

21.    INTRODUCTION TO MIXED MODELS FOR ECOLOGISTS #IMMR

14th - 18th May 2018, CANADA (QUEBEC) STILL to be confirmed, Prof Subhash Lele, Dr. Guillaume Blanchet

22.    STABLE ISOTOPE MIXING MODELS USING SIAR, SIBER AND MIXSIAR #SIMM

28th May – 1st June 2018, CANADA (QUEBEC) STILL to be confirmed Dr. Andrew Parnell, Dr. Andrew Jackson

23.    SOCIAL NETWORK ANALYSIS FOR BEHAVIOURAL SCIENTISTS USING R #SNAR

2nd - 5th12th July 2018, Prof James Curley

COMING SOON  www.PSstatistics.com

24.    MODEL BASE MULTIVARIATE ANALYSIS OF ABUNDANCE DATA USING R #MBMV

8th – 12th July 2018, Prof David Warton

https://www.prstatistics.com/course/model-base-multivariate-analysis-of-abundance-data-using-r-mbmv02/

25.    EUKARYOTIC METABARCODING

23rd – 27th July 2018, Wales, Dr. Owen Wangensteen

http://www.prinformatics.com/course/eukaryotic-metabarcoding-eukb01/

26.    ADVANCES IN MULTIVARIATE ANALYSIS OF SPATIAL ECOLOGICAL DATA USING R #MVSP

Prof. Pierre Legendre, Dr. Olivier Gauthier - Date and location to be confirmed

--
Oliver Hooker PhD.

PR informatics

2017 publications
- Ecosystem size predicts eco-morphological variability in post-glacial diversification. Ecology and Evolution.
- The physiological costs of prey switching reinforce foraging specialization. Journal of animal ecology.

prinformatics.com
twitter.com/PRinformatics
facebook.com/prstatistics/

6 Hope Park Crescent