VACANCY No. 17-37-8
The Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) is the National Metrology Institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with scientific and technical service tasks. It furthers progress and reliability in metrology for society, the economy and science.
Department 8.4 "Mathematical Modelling and Data Analysis" of Division 8 is looking for a
scientist specialized in statistics / applied mathematics
to join us as soon as possible. This position is available on the basis of a 3-year fixed-term contract. If you are able to prove your abilities, a permanent employment is possible. Depending on your personal qualifications, the remuneration can reach up to remuneration group 14 TVöD Bund. You will be employed at our Berlin site.
Once hired, the candidate will work in Working Group 8.42 "Data Analysis and Measurement Uncertainty" that deals with the development and application of methods of statistical data analysis. The research tasks in the Working Group are frequently motivated by current issues in metrology and are often realized in cooperation with other Working Groups of PTB, with industry or with external academic partners. The development of methods, for example for the purpose of analyzing dynamic measurements, especially with regard to the determination of measurement uncertainties, is one of the research tasks. It includes the further development and application of procedures of time series analysis and statistics as well as of the methods of signal processing.
• Development and application of statistical methods for the analysis of measurement data, in particular for the estimation of time-dependent quantities
• Cooperation with experimental Working Groups of PTB, with the industry, with universities as well as with other European metrology institutes working in the above-mentioned field
• Canvassing and coordinating projects in the above-mentioned subject areas
• You have obtained a relevant university degree (German "Diplom" or Master's) including a doctoral degree
• You have well-founded experience in the mathematical and statistical analysis of experiments and measurement processes
• You have an independent and well-structured working style
• You have proven scientific achievements
• You have a good command of spoken and written English
• You have good communication skills, and you are a team player
• You are willing to travel abroad as well as within Germany within the scope of your assignment
For further information concerning this position, please contact:
Dr. Clemens Elster, phone: +49 (0)30 3481-7492, e-mail: [log in to unmask],
Prof. Dr. Markus Bär, phone: +49 (0)30 3481-7687, e-mail: [log in to unmask],
PTB promotes the professional equality of women and men and is thus especially interested in applications from women.
Within the scope of the official feasibilities, PTB offers flexible part-time work schemes in order to support in particular the compatibility of family and profession.
Disabled persons will be given priority if they have the same occupational aptitude.
Are you interested? Then we are looking forward to hearing from you.
Please use our online application form
or send us your application to the following postal address:
Reference number 17-37-8
Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications sent via e-mail.
The closing date for applications is 11 September 2017.
You may leave the list at any time by sending the command
to [log in to unmask], leaving the subject line blank.