Re: Person Identifiers

Paul Walk <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 31 Aug 2017 17:23:21 +0100

text/plain

I think it is worth debating, and I have tried to explain why.

Very simply - public funders can encourage - or even mandate - the use of globally unique and persistent identifiers, without needing to hand a monopoly to one particular provider.

As an example - with the RIOXX recommendations we *mandate* that if an ID for a researcher is used then it *must* be an HTTP URI. We also *recommend* ORCID as an appropriate and good provider of such identifiers.

This seems to me to still be an entirely appropriate approach for a public funder.

Paul

Paul Walk
http://www.paulwalk.net