Research Request -- Second Request

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Apr 2017 09:31:30 +0200

Dear Colleagues,

Last week, I posted a request seeking help in finding articles, reports, and documents of any kind on the topics of 1) practice based research, 2) practice led research, 3) practice as research, 4) artistic research, 5) investigative design, and 6) generative research.

So far, I have received over 200 contributions. I am grateful to those who have sent them — I’m writing again to request that people who haven’t yet sent documents support this project with material.

In working on an article, I discovered that authors use these terms in many different ways. In some cases, the same terms designate very different approaches, methods, or perspectives. In other cases, different terms indicate the same approach, method, or perspective. More confusing still, some of these terms designate approaches, methods, or perspectives that could easily be characterized using standard research terms from the social sciences, natural sciences, humanities, or liberal arts. While artists, designers, architects, composers, or other practitioners of the fine arts or creative arts have done the projects, these could well be projects by researchers in other fields.

I seek anything that anyone can send me that has been published in books, journals, reports, or even in the gray literature. I also welcome research documents such as PhD dissertations or theses that exemplify these terms if when the documents contain an explicit method or methodology section that defines terms and methods,

When possible, I’d like actual documents in .pdf or MS Word .docx or .doc formats.

It is easy to send documents in any standard format by using WeTransfer. WeTransfer hosts a free service that allows users to send up to 20 GB at no cost. It is easy to upload documents, and easy to download them.

https://wetransfer.com/

When documents are not accessible, I also welcome links.

Please send these directly to me, not to this list. Email to:

As usual, I will compile the documentation that I receive. I will send a complete bibliography to everyone who contributes, and I will make the full collection available to anyone who wishes a copy. I made the first collection available last week, and I will make an updated collection available as soon I I finish organizing it.

This project will take two or three months. As with similar projects in the past, I will release the complete bibliography and make the collection available when it is done.

If you have materials, I will be deeply grateful for your help.

Sincerely,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Tongji University in Cooperation with Elsevier | URL: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/she-ji-the-journal-of-design-economics-and-innovation/

Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| University Distinguished Professor | Centre for Design Innovation | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia

Email [log in to unmask] | Academia http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman | D&I http://tjdi.tongji.edu.cn