Design Research News, March 2017

David Durling <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Mar 2017 10:00:41 +1000

text/plain

_______________________________________________  _______________
___________________________________________      __  _   _   ___
_________________________________________   ___  __   ___  _____
_________________________________________  ____  __  _____   ___
_________________________________________   ___  __  _______  __
___________________________________________      __  ____    ___

DESIGN RESEARCH NEWS Volume 22 Number 2, Mar 2017 ISSN 1473-3862
DRS Digital Newsletter      http://www.designresearchsociety.org

Join DRS via e-payment  http://www.designresearchsociety.org

CONTENTS

o   Design Studies Award

o   Design Studies

o   IASDR2017 conference

o   DRS2018 conference

o   Calls

o   Announcements

o   The Design Research Society: information

o   Digital Services of the DRS

o   Subscribing and unsubscribing to DRN

o   Contributing to DRN

PLEASE NOTE: a couple of items listed below are VERY short-dated!

-- Ed.

DESIGN STUDIES AWARD

We are pleased to announce the winner of the 2016 Design Studies
Award, for the best paper published in the journal. The award is to be
made to Kim Kullman (Goldsmith's College, University of London) for
the paper 'Prototyping bodies: a post-phenomenology of wearable
simulations' in Vol. 47, November 2016, pp. 73-90.

The Design Studies Award is made annually, jointly by the Design
Research Society and the journal publishers, Elsevier Science. It
comprises a certificate and a prize of GBP500. The criteria for the
Award, in order of priority, are: contribution to the development of
the field of design research, originality of research or scholarship,
breadth of relevance, and clarity and style of presentation.

Abstract This article explores wearable simulations, which are
analogue and low-tech tools that designers deploy to gain first-hand
insight into the experiences of different users, including elderly and
disabled people. Ranging from gloves and goggles to elaborate
whole-body suits, wearable simulations are said to facilitate an
inclusive and empathic design process by encouraging practitioners to
seek affective and sensory connection with others. The article builds
on post-phenomenological thinking to propose an alternative
understanding, where wearable simulations are seen as prototypical
compositions that generate unexpected bodily variations, which have
the potential to sensitise designers to the limits of knowing bodies
and invite experimentation with experience.

DESIGN STUDIES

Contents of Volume 49, March 2017

Eliciting unknown unknowns with prototypes: Introducing prototrials
and prototrial-driven cultures
Matilde B. Jensen, Christer W. Elverum, Martin Steinert Pages 1-31

Uniting individual and collective concerns through design: Priming
across the senses
Philip Cash, Christopher Holm-Hansen, Sebastian Borum Olsen, Mette
Louise Christensen, Yen Mai Thi Trinh Pages 32-65

Values in urban design: A design studio teaching approach
Alain J.F. Chiaradia, Louie Sieh, Frances Plimmer Pages 66-100

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/0142694X/49/

25-28 June 2018 - DRS2018 Limerick, Ireland

Design as a Catalyst for Change. Design shapes our daily lives,
influencing how we interact with each other and with our environment.
When at its best, design is a powerful catalyst for change. DRS2018
Limerick invites design researchers to explore these relationships
across an exciting four-day conference from 25th to 28th June 2018.

In DRS2018: Catalyst we will critically engage with our key research
questions: How can design research help explore the changing
territorial contexts of design practice and/or policy ? How can
design, as a catalyst, shape the relationship between research and
practice ? How can design, and social, economic and political change,
shape each other?

Join us in Limerick, on Ireland's west coast, from 25th to 28th June
2018 to engage in discussions and debates on the future directions of
design and design research.

Call for Tracks

Track sessions To capitalise on emerging research networks, as well as
existing networks not already covered by SIG areas, we welcome
proposals for track sessions of full papers related to any area of
design research.

The aim of track sessions is to provide specific research themes for
paper submissions. These sessions will be managed by sub-chairs as
part of the general paper submission and final programme.

Sub-chairs will be responsible for promoting their track to potential
authors, identifying and allocating reviewers, curating conference
sessions, and sub-editing their specific track section for the
proceedings. Tracks will require a minimum of four accepted papers.

Proposals should consist of a title, proposed sub-chair/s for the
session, a list of 2-3 key people who will assist in managing the
track submissions, track context and an outline (up to 250 words), and
a brief list of references (up to 5) to indicate the track scope.

Submission To allow us to publicise additional tracks prior to the
full-paper deadline, track session proposals should be submitted to
https://www.conftool.pro/drs2018/ on or before the deadline of 16th
May 2017.

Track session proposals will be reviewed by a subset of the programme
committee with sub-chairs informed of outcomes within two weeks of the
deadline.  Successful proposals will be publicised on the website as
part of the conference Call for Papers.

Submissions for successful track sessions will take place via the
online submission system along with standard paper submissions.

www.DRS2018Limerick.org

IASDR2017 Conference

Re: Research - IASDR 2017 Conference at the College of Design,
Architecture, Art and Planning (DAAP), University of Cincinnati

Due to multiple requests the deadline for paper and poster submissions
will be extended until March 18th, 2017.

Submissions received by the original deadline (February 18) will still
receive notice of acceptance by April 30th.   All other submissions
made after the original deadline will be reviewed in a timely manner.
Final formatted papers and posters for all accepted submissions are
still due by August 30th to be included in the proceedings.

NOTE - There are 2 types of submissions:

1. Full paper 3,000-5,000 words in length for presentation.

2. Short paper (work in progress) presented in poster format, less
than 3,000 words in length with only the abstract submitted for
review.

To allow all world citizens to participate in the IASDR2017
conference, every effort will be made to accommodate alternative forms
of presentation such as recorded video or real-time online video
conferencing. If you experience travel restrictions which will prevent
you from attending the Conference in person, please contact us at

We look forward to your participation.

Craig M. Vogel Associate Dean for Graduate Studies and Research
College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning

Gjoko Muratovski Director, The Myron E. Ullman, Jr. School of Design
College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning

www.IASDR2017.com

CALLS

Design Expertise Survey

We are a team of academics and researchers working in the area of
design, who would like to invite you to participate in an
international online survey about design expertise. The survey is
intended to enhance the understanding about what expertise in design
means, and in particular what are your thinking, experience, and
personal opinion about design expertise. No names are used in the
survey and your responses are confidential. Your answers to the
questionnaire constitute a valuable contribution to design science.
The link to access the online questionnaire is:

https://goo.gl/forms/kLFB6P7wtM7tAa523

After completing the questionnaire, you will have the possibility to
see the average results of the group of respondents. We very much
appreciate your effort in participating in the survey, and we will be
thankful if you could get the questionnaire filled in at your earliest
convenience, preferably in the coming days. Best regards, Hernan
Casakin and Vishal Singh

INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DESIGN

CALL FOR PAPERS

Special Issue on Designing for Systems of Smart Things

Full Paper Due: 15 April 2017

Systems of smart things, or IoT systems, have entered our everyday
life and are shaping and enriching it in many ways. Yet design and
design research have lagged behind in exploring the fascinating
qualities of these systems of connected things, with their inherent
complexities and emerging properties. Our next special issue of the
International Journal of Design, therefore, aims at establishing a
platform for design research on systems of smart things. We hope this
platform will become a means for shedding light on the social,
theoretical, technological, and philosophical challenges of designing
these systems.

Schedule

Full Paper Due: 15 April 2017
Notification of Review Results: 30 June 2017
Final Version of Paper Due: 1 August 2017
Notification of Acceptance: 15 August 2017
Special Issue Publication Date: 31 October 2017

Special Issue Editors Berry Eggen & Mathias Funk, Eindhoven University
of Technology Jane Y. J. Hsu, National Taiwan University & NTU IoX
Center

Announcement and Submission Instructions

http://www.ijdesign.org/ojs/index.php/IJDesign/announcement

Flyer http://www.ijdesign.org/materials/IJD2017_Special_Issue_IoT.pdf

PLYMOUTH COLLEGE OF ART ANNOUNCE
FIRST CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

MAKING FUTURES
CRAFTING A SUSTAINABLE MODERNITY - TOWARDS
MAKER AESTHETICS OF PRODUCTION AND CONSUMPTION

http://makingfutures.plymouthart.ac.uk/

Making Futures will be held on Thursday 21st and Friday 22nd September
2017 within the magnificently sited Mount Edgcumbe estate on the River
Tamar opposite the city of Plymouth, Devon, UK.

The CALL FOR ABSTRACTS is now open and the closing date for receipt is
22nd May 2017. Building on the success of its four previous editions,
Making Futures invites proposals for papers and presentations that
address the main conference topic, thematic fields and workshops.
Making Futures seeks to be broad and inclusive, and invites a diverse
range of response, from artists, craftspeople, designer-makers, Fab
Lab and maker-movement enthusiasts, campaigners and activists,
curators, historians and theorists.

CONFERENCE AIMS: Making Futures is a research platform exploring
contemporary craft and maker movements as 'change agents' within 21st
century society. Convinced of the transformative potential of
small-scale making and its capacity to contribute to new progressive
futures, our purpose is to examine and promote the possibilities for
maker economies built around contemporary craft, neo-artisanal
design-to-make and related creative micro-entrepreneurs and movements.

The September 2017 edition operates under the rubric 'crafting a
sustainable modernity: towards a maker aesthetics of production and
consumption'. The idea here is of reclaiming a craft future within a
contemporary moment that (contested definitions of the present
notwithstanding) still takes place essentially within the 'arc of
Modernity'. Thus rather than seeing maker cultures as necessarily
antithetical to contemporary Modernity, we want to see if we can frame
emerging regimes of neo-artisanal production as part of a
forward-looking attempt to reimagine a viable Modernity, one in which
small-scale makers and micro-manufacturers try to innovate around
technology, form, function, aesthetic meaning and social relevance -
engaging in responsible (often place-based) market economics but
striving to step outside the exploitative forms of commodification
associated with the 'disembedded' global markets resonant of
neo-liberalism.

KEYNOTES: we announce the following confirmed Keynote speakers:

Glenn Adamson, Senior Scholar, Yale Center for British Art, USA, and
author of "The Invention of Craft" will address our core theme by
exploring how contemporary craft is a construct of modernity and,
furthermore, how making skills have occupied pivotal roles throughout
the formation of industrial modernity.

Professor Angela McRobbie, the Department of Media and Communications,
Goldsmiths, University of London, and Mercator Fellow, Carl Von
Ossietzy Universitat Oldenburg, Germany, will explore the
post-industrial maker economy built around creative
micro-entrepreneurs and small-scale fashion designers in Berlin as
explored in her book "Be Creative, Making a Living in the New Culture
Industries" to see what lessons might be gleaned from this example.

We will shortly be announcing additional keynotes contributing related
points of departure.

WORKSHOPS: we are calling for submissions to three workshops that
address 'crafting a sustainable modernity' by triangulating approaches
to industry, care and community, and the broader social leadership
contributions that contemporary makers might make:

- Craft in Industry: in collaboration with the Royal College of Art.

- The Well Maker Space: in collaboration with Community21, University
of Brighton and University of Wolverhampton.

- Making Leaders (Innovation & Change): in collaboration with
CraftNet, the independent leadership and strategic development network
for contemporary craft.  THEMATIC FIELDS: alternatively, submissions
might address one of six themes:

- Lifecycles of Material Worlds (Sustainability in Practice)

- Craft in an Expanded Field -  Critical Perspectives on Consumerism

- Translations Across Local-Global Divides

- Materials & Processes of Making

- Making Thinking (The Craft of Education) TWO EXHIBITIONS: will run
during Making Futures:

- We The People (are the work): a citywide exhibition that will build
connections and collaborations that question our engagement with
politics and identity, activated by a series of newly commissioned
artworks by internationally renowned artists.

- Plymouth Art Weekender: a three-day annual event that takes place
across the city from the 22nd- 24th September 2017, showcasing a
diverse range of events by local, national and international artists.
In addition to the above two events, we expect to announce smaller
on-site exhibitions at the Mount Edgcumbe conference location.

CONFERENCE BURSARIES: a limited bursary scheme is open to independent
makers.

http://makingfutures.plymouthart.ac.uk/

30-31 May 2017 - Call for Papers for the sIREN Conference 2017: Arts
and Digital Practices

sIREN 'Arts and Digital Practices' Conference will explore digital
practices and their social impact in contemporary artistic contexts.
It seeks to create an interdisciplinary platform of communication
among artistic practices, technologies, theory, artistic collaboration
and digital media.

Keynotes: Nicolas Donin (IRCAM, Paris), Peter Sinclair (Locus Sonus
Sound Lab), Jen Southern (CeMoRe, Lancaster University), Trevor
Wishart (Institute of Sonology) and Chris Speed (ECA, Design
Informatics).

Deadline: Please send a 300-word abstract to [log in to unmask]
with subject heading "sIREN Conference 2017: Arts & Digital
Practices", by March 30th 2017.

http://www.siren.eca.ed.ac.uk/conference-2017/

CoDesign

CoDesign Special Issue: Understanding, Capturing and Assessing Value
in Collaborative Design Research

Guest Editors: Simon Bowen, Newcastle University, United Kingdom Roger
Whitham, Lancaster University, United Kingdom Chris Speed, Edinburgh
College of Art, United Kingdom Simon Moreton, University of the West
of England, United Kingdom Abigail Durrant, University of Northumbria,
United Kingdom

In this special issue, we seek to discuss how the value of design
research programmes can be understood, communicated, and inform work
as it progresses. Funders typically evaluate research according to
impact that can be readily described in economic or societal terms.
Whilst this indeed demonstrates value, it does not completely capture
forms of value that collaborative design research produces, because
often they are less amenable to measurement or do not produce
quantifiable results within or soon after the funded period.

Design research is apt to be collaborative, involving diverse
stakeholder groups and forms of knowledge, leading to outcomes that
range in nature from discrete products and services, to new
experiences, processes and infrastructures. This diversity and
connectedness is a core strength of the discipline, but also a
challenge in articulating its value to assessors, and indeed to the
discipline of design research itself. There is an acute need to
consider how collaborative design research understands and captures
the value it offers to the world, addressing the demand for
articulating quantifiable value without losing the distinctive
theoretical and practical resources design research has to offer
society.

We invite authors to consider, illustrate and reflect upon the
practical and conceptual challenges and opportunities of understanding
design research value. We invite authors to respond to the following
issues and questions:

Conceptions of value in collaborative design research: What forms of
value are most relevant to design research? How can value that is
distributed socially, organisationally and temporally be understood?
How can understandings of value respond to co-produced and emergent
forms of knowledge?

Practical problems of identifying and capturing the value of
collaborative design research: How has the effect and value of design
and design research been successfully (or unsuccessfully) captured in
existing work? How might emergent, diffuse, infrastructural and
dynamic forms of value be meaningfully captured? What are the ethical
implications of identifying and capturing the effect of design
research?

Assessing value in collaborative design research: Given constraints on
the time and expertise of assessors, what forms of evidence could
equip evaluators with the tools needed to understand value? How have
assessment methodologies been meaningfully employed, and what new
research has this enabled? How can assessment account for new and
disruptive forms of knowledge and value?

Timeline: March 2017: launch of the call 30th June 2017: Submissions
deadline for intentions to contribute 31st August 2017: Notification
of relevance sent to authors 30th of November  2017: submission of
full papers 5th  March  2018: post-review notification of accept /
reject / revisions to authors 1st June  2018: Deadline for submission
of revised papers 1st August  2018: Final selected papers to
production February  2019: Publication of the Special Issue

http://explore.tandfonline.com/pages/cfp/co-design-special-issue

12 October 2017 - Researcher Education and Development Scholarship
Conference 2017; University of Leeds
New outlooks on the development of researchers in a changed landscape:
pedagogy and theory

THE conference for those interested in scholarship in respect of the
development of researchers

Abstract
deadline Friday 30th June

Who should attend: It is expected that researcher development
colleagues, higher education researchers, learning & development
professionals, and HE policy makers will find this programme of
interest.

Overview:
The subject for the conference this year is: New outlooks on the
development of researchers in a changed landscape: pedagogy and theory
The notion of embedding opportunities for broader development for
doctoral and early career researchers is now well established in many
universities internationally, supported by the requirements of funders
of research. Demand for provision of development programmes continues
to grow, mirroring university research strategies which now
consistently speak of growth in research capacity by increasing
targets in research income and doctoral numbers. Additionally we
recognise that the career landscape for doctoral graduates is now
characterised more fully than when we initially launched development
programmes, and that early career researchers need to develop an ever
broader skills set to be successful in research. We must work to equip
researchers with the skills, behaviours, and attitudes that match
employer needs inside and outside of HE contexts. And we are mindful
of the financial cost of higher study, and the impact this could have
on choice to pursue doctorates. We feel increasing pressure to make
sure the doctorate represents value as a career endeavour. As such we
as developers can expect to face volume increases, changing
priorities, and fresh employability challenges, and this conference
seeks to examine whether our established pedagogies and programme
concepts are appropriate for the future of the development of
researchers? The third annual REDS conference will be an opportunity
to challenging existing approaches and explore pedagogical,
theoretical and conceptual influences on the future of developing
researchers (doctoral researchers, postdoctoral researchers, early
career researchers or supervisory practice). We welcome presentation
of:

- Research outcomes of existing researcher development activity in
terms of impact and efficacy of practice.

- Research in to new pedagogies, theories or programme concepts for
the development of researchers.

- Opinion pieces founded in existing research outputs that: project
future pedagogical needs and programme concepts for the development of
researchers; or, identify key gaps in the current published research
in respect of the development of researchers.

The event is designed to provide opportunities to network and share
professional and research practices across multiple perspectives and
contexts for developing researchers.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ris/ecr/events/reds2017

22-25 October 2017 - EPIC2017

EPIC is the leading international conference on ethnography & design
in business.

EPIC invites your proposals to EPIC2017--the premier international
conference on ethnography and design in business. EPIC2017 will take
place in Montreal, 22-25 October 2017.

Contributions should draw on theoretical advances in social research,
coupled with applied best practices from professional fields, to
strike new directions for creating and implementing knowledge and
affecting change.

Read the Call for Participation: https://2017.epicpeople.org/submit/

Submission deadline: March 31, 2017

Our diverse attendees come from every industry and many scholarly
disciplines, including Fortune-500 companies, the world's top
technology firms, management consultancies and design studios,
universities and NGOs, public policy organizations and think tanks.

https://2017.epicpeople.org/about/

UK SURVEY

This email from Paul Rogers is aimed at United Kingdom-based Design
researchers only.

As part of my Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) Design
Leadership Fellowship, I am conducting a short survey to understand
better how Design research is currently supported in the UK
(including, but not limited to, the Arts and Humanities Research
Council).

I would be most grateful if you could spend 5 minutes completing the
survey, which will help the future development of Design research and
its funding in the UK. It would also be enormously helpful if you
could disseminate this survey link email to your colleagues.

The survey can be accessed here -
http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/DesignResearchFundingLandscape/

named. Findings from the survey will inform my Design Leadership
Fellowship work with the Design research community and the Research
Councils in the UK.

The survey will remain open until Friday 17 March, 2017.

16-18 October 2017 - WORLD DESIGN SUMMIT

The World Design Summit Organisation announces the list of the 108
topics that will frame the debates at the Congress of the World Design
Summit

Montreal, March 1st, 2017 - Building on the successful first Call for
Proposals that generated some 350 submissions from over 40 countries,
the Scientific and Professional Committee of the World Design Summit
2017 is pleased to unveil the list of 108 topics that will frame the
discussions and debates at the Congress to be held from October 16 to
20, 2017 as part of the World Design Summit. The list is available on
the World Design Summit website at

www.topics.worlddesignsummit.com

The 108 topics were selected with the objective of upholding the
highest criteria of quality, excellence and critical thinking, in
order to build a program worthy of the Summit's ambition: creating
change through Design. Interested applicants will be able to submit
their proposals on the dedicated platform at www.worlddesignsummit.com
beginning on March, 13th, 2017 at 9 a.m. (Eastern Standard Time) until
June, 4th, 2017 at 5 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).

The applicants selected as speakers or panelists for any of the 108
topics will be invited to join a working group based on the topic
under which they will have been selected, in order to feed into the
discussions and stimulate the proposal of transformative solutions.
The main objective is to be able to present one official
recommendation per topic to the international organizations that will
be participating in the World Design Summit General Assembly, to take
place on October 23, 24 and 25, 2017.

The World Design Summit - Montreal 2017 (WDSM), of which the general
theme is "Changing the World through Design", is a world-class event
that will assemble a huge number of design experts, clients, suppliers
and enthusiasts from all over the world  in Montreal's Palais des
congres from October 16 to 25, 2017. Architects, designers and urban
planners will collaboratively endeavour to develop innovative and
practical solutions to the energy- and environment-related challenges
of the 21st century, and to present them to private and public sector
decision-makers and the public at large.

www.worlddesignsummit.com

19-21 September 2017 - The Design School Kolding Microconference: Call
for papers

The conference's aim is to draw the attention of design research back
to the form of designed objects.

Hillier (1998) asks how much design should be regarded as a
legitimately intuitively process as opposed to one that "is intuitive
by default, and awaiting emancipation to a systematic procedure."
Hillier posed that question in the context of space syntax and urban
planning. It is however still valid for industrial design. Hillier
addressed the idea that in dealing with configuration (meaning form)
designers are engaging in a non-discursive process: "we have no words
and concepts that describe it at anything like the complexity at which
we create it and experience it in the real world". This is an
elaborate way of saying one must use a thousand words to describe a
picture. More yet are needed for the process of creation.

Thirteen years later Scott-Swann and Luchs (2011) identify priority
opportunities for research on product design. They note that most
research is "conceptual in nature and relatively few studies have
empirically examined the relationships among form, function and
consumer response". Note the use of the word empirical. Even if
Hillier's space syntax model attempts to quantify spatial
relationships in design, the question asked is a reminder that the
core of design is non-discursive. However, the vast bulk of design
research focuses on that part of design which Hillier calls bringing
the non-discursive into the realm of the discursive. This is the kind
called for by Scott-Swann and Luchs.

While parts of the design process can be so rendered (the technical,
procedural aspects), the core of design, the visual is seemingly
neglected other than the stimulus for a consumer response. The
preferred natural science formats in design research writing tend to
underplay the qualitative. Consider the structuring formula of
background, literature review, hypothesis, methods, data and analysis.
If the difference between design and engineering is the subjective and
qualitative, is this format appropriate?

Even qualitative research tends towards a hypothetico-deductive model
where one tries to convert qualitative data into something
quantitative. Consider the hypothetical case of a study of the nature
of joints in product design: how could this be treated? As David Pye
(1964) noted, it is often the case that perceptions of quality reside
in the craftsmanship of joints. A process-based inquiry centered on
interviews with designers would not capture the character of the
issue. Quantitative surveys of users simply measure perceptions of the
objects, not the objects themselves. A numerical study of joints
(types and frequency of use) would not throw light on the aesthetics
of the subject matter. There isn't a "theory" of joints and numerical
data would not have added to the finite list of joint topologies. A
similar condition pertains for curvature, proportion, volume, colour
and texture although all can be quantitatively described. So, leading
from this it would appear that a significant qualitative topic is
beyond discussion if it does not fit into a natural science or social
science boxes.

Without wishing to reduce the legitimacy of existing branches of
design research, participants are invited to present papers that show
how one can analyse, discuss and theorise on the qualitative in
design, that part of design which exists in drawings and the
physicality of products. The output should be essays that can inform
those researching and practicing design. They should also be useful to
those learning the discipline and who wish to have a conceptual
framework for form-giving and its meanings.

Contributors will be asked to present their paper and to provide a
detailed commentary on the work of one other participant. As such the
micro-conference will be an opportunity for wide ranging and
considered discussion.

Please note that places at the conference are limited to twelve.

The organisers intend for a selection the papers to be published in a
special issue of a design journal: dicussions are underway to this
end.

Review will be by double-blind peer review.

Deadlines:

Full paper draft (5000 words including abstract): May 31st 2017
Notification of acceptance: August 1st 2017 Final paper: August 15th,
2017 Registration closes: August 15th, 2017

Location: Design School, Kolding, Denmark. Dates: September 19th to
Sept 21st 2017

From the special issue editors: Product design research, past present
and future. J. Prod. Innov. Manag. 28:321-326.

For further information please contact Richard Herriott, Assistant
Professor, Industrial Design [log in to unmask]

21 July 2017 - In Pursuit of Luxury: Luxury, sustainability and waste

Deadline for abstracts: 21 July 2017

The debate surrounding luxury continues in so much as there are more
questions than answers where definitions of luxury are concerned. In
addition, there is much more debate surrounding social responsibility,
the origin of materials and manufacture, the inclusion of technology,
the retail environment and disposable products.

We continue to ask ourselves whether traditional definitions of luxury
are relevant in today's global marketplace and how the contemporary
luxury market addresses change through addressing shifts in consumer
habits. Mass production remains the focus of global luxury brands,
however there has been a shift in customer loyalty, the introduction
on 'limited' editions of products and the introduction of 'salons' to
enhance the value added to the retail and shopping experience.
Advances in technology continue to challenge the status-quo where
innovation in manufacture, customisation and materials are concerned
and an increase in value attributed to craftsmanship may be pushing
both industry and academics to redefine contemporary concepts and
interpretations of luxury.

Have we changed our perception of luxury and therefore re-defining
what it represents? What do we understand by the term luxury and can
it or should it be applied to all luxury branded goods? Does
contemporary branding allow such goods to remain 'luxurious' even
though they have been mass-produced? And is the circular economy
redefining the parameters of the definition of luxury where we
consider the notions of sustainability and the impact of waste in what
is becoming a 'polluted' consumer environment By discussing the
history of luxury against the backdrop of contemporary issues, a
familiar debate is extended into unfamiliar contexts. In this new and
dynamic juxtaposition of seemingly unrelated market cultures
significant inter-relationships are proposed and explored to expand
the parameters of the debate around the concepts of luxury.

Fashion Film has become increasingly central to describing, promoting,
defining and enhancing luxury brands. They are able to engage in story
telling that static advertising is not able to do. In addition,
fashion film is provocative in its approach, generates much debate and
is in some instances contentious. With this in mind the In Pursuit of
Luxury Conference 2017 invites submissions of Fashion Films focusing
on luxury and luxury brands. The aim is to provide new perspectives on
the ways in which notions of luxury are disseminated to an ever
increasing global audience. We encourage and welcome debate around the
subject.

This conference intends to expand the parameters of the debate around
the concepts of luxury to provide a refreshing context to construe the
familiar debates surrounding the subject.

Indicative themes for the conference are, but are not limited to
luxury and:

History
Craft and the handmade
Branding, marketing and communication
Consumption and consumer attitudes
The retail environment
Fashion
Fashion film
Digital technology
The digital environment
Sourcing and production
Materials and sustainability
Re-purpose, re-use, re-frame
Wasted luxury
Eco-design

A special evening of screenings will take place during the conference.

www.herts.ac.uk/in-pursuit-of-luxury/conferences/ipol-conference-2017

14-16 September 2017 - Artem OCC

With reference to the great success of the first Artem OCC in Nancy in
2015 https://artemocc2015.sciencesconf.org/ we would like to announce
the second edition of the Artem international conference on
Organizational Creativity and Sustainability
https://artemocc2017.sciencesconf.org/ which will be held in Nancy,
France, from 14 to 16th September 2017.

We intend to pursue the discussions initiated during the last edition,
as well as exploring new paths. As such, our objective is to bring
together scholars and professionals in areas such as engineering, arts
and management to further examine and develop the topic of creativity
and sustainability in its different dimensions.

Our intention is to approach the topic of creativity and
sustainability from different disciplinary and thematic perspectives
in theory and practice. We welcome disruptive approaches that
challenge the mainstream perspective on organizational and social
arrangements and the manner these can solve environmental, social, and
economic problems.

https://artemocc2017.sciencesconf.org/

4-7 December 2017 - Design4Health

REGISTRATION AND ABSTRACT SUBMISSION FOR THE 2017 DESIGN4HEALTH
CONFERENCE ARE NOW OPEN

Early bird registration and abstract submission are now open for the
2017 Design4Health Conference. Lab4Living and Sheffield-Hallam
University, in conjunction with the Centre for Design Innovation and
Swinburne University are excited to host this biennial event - held
for the first time in the Southern Hemisphere. Running during the
Australian summer, at the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), the
2017 Conference is sure to energise and inspire.The rising demands on
human wellbeing, health services, sports health, rural and urban
service challenges, and an ageing population, have revealed the
powerful benefits of interdisciplinary design to deliver
future-oriented innovations in health. Your participation in this
event would be welcomed to help cast forward a new approach for the
world's wellbeing. By drawing upon diverse disciplines, this event
will bring us towards a common issue affecting us all - our health
futures.Abstract submissions for the Conference are now being accepted
and Early Bird Registration is now open. All peer-reviewed accepted
abstracts will be automatically invited to submit a full version of
their papers for consideration in subsequent editions of the Design
for Health Journal.

Visit the Design4Health Conference Website to find out more about the
Conference, submit your work and take advantage of the early
registration fee.We look forward to your participation at this
exciting event

www.d4hmelbourne.com

ANNOUNCEMENTS

7-9 June 2017 - Motion Design Education Summit
The Ohio State University Department of Design Columbus, Ohio

The MODE Summit is an international gathering of educators, students,
and practitioners who specialize in the area of motion design [MODE].
The conference encourages the exchange of ideas on how motion design
impacts visual communication, brand building, interface and
interaction design, data visualization, TV and film title design, and
storytelling. Through a series of presentations and discussion,
attendees help shape the professional, theoretical, and educational
aspects of profession.

Keynote speakers include Dan Boyarski, professor and former head of
the School of Design at Carnegie Mellon University and Christopher
Pullman, professor at Yale University's School of Art and former Vice
President for Branding at WGBH, Public Broadcasting, Boston. Their
presentations are complemented with keynotes from Rebecca Ussai a UX
Design Director for IA Collaborative and Playerium, an international
and multicultural gaming company credited with some of the biggest
video game titles in the industry.

The MODE Summit will feature 24 peer-reviewed papers, 3 workshops, and
8 early stage research reports. Most notably, we have a 'call for
student work' that will be displayed in the Hopkins Hall gallery on
the campus of The Ohio State University during the conference.

http://www.modesummit.com/

DECOLONIZATION of DESIGN

Last month I mentioned an article about decolonization in AIGA's Eye
on Design. A number of design educators do not agree
with the article. Their counterarguments may be seen here:
https://educators.aiga.org/op-ed-in-eye-on-design/

-- Ed.

22-24 March 2017 - Research Through Design (RTD) Conference

Tickets are now available for RTD 2017 to take place at the National
Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh, UK and can be booked here-

https://www.regonline.com/RTD2017

RTD will focus on New Disciplines of Making - Shared Knowledge in
Doing. RTD supports the dissemination of practice-based research
through a novel and experimental conference format, comprising a
curated exhibition of design research, accompanied by round-table
discussions in 'Rooms of Interest'. The exhibition held at National
Museum of Scotland, will be used as a platform for presenting and
demonstrating research processes and outputs, and for generating
debate on the role of the design practitioner and their work in a
research context.

We have a great programme shaping up for this year including:

Provocations: Japanese Architect Azusa Murakami and British Artist
Alexander Groves from Studio Swine and Prof. Elisa Giaccardi, TUDelft.

Design Panel: Kristina Andersen (Steim), Tobie Kerridge (Goldsmiths),
James Auger (M-ITI Madeira) and Sarah Kettley (Nottingham Trent),
chaired by Dr Craig Martin (ECA).

Museum & the Artefact Panel: Dr Sam Alberti, Keeper of the Department
of Science and Technology and Dr Xavier Dectot, Keeper of the
Department of Art & Design (both National Museums of Scotland), Dr
Jayne Wallace (Northumbria) and Prof. JP Singh (Edinburgh), chaired by
Prof. Chris Breward (ECA).

This is on top of a fantastic programme of peer-reviewed work in the
Rooms of Interest and conference exhibition, plus a series of Design
Research Workshops on the 21st of March.

http://researchthroughdesign.org/2017/

3-4 April 2017 - 3RD INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON DEVELOPMENTS IN
DOCTORAL EDUCATION & TRAINING
STRATFORD-UPON-AVON, UK

EVENT OVERVIEW
On the 3rd & 4th April, join over 100 colleagues, in 40 sessions, to
identify and share the good practice and key developments going on in
Europe and other PhD intensive countries - including the USA, Canada,
Australia and New Zealand.

CONFERENCE THEMES
The main themes of the conference are:
Policy Agendas
Structure of Doctoral Programmes
Training in Doctoral Programmes
Supervisors
Assessing Doctoral Programmes
New Approaches

KEYNOTE PRESENTATIONS
Professor David Bogle - University College London, UK
The League of European Universities (LERU): Developing and Promoting a
Quality Culture in Doctoral Education.

Hugh Kearns - Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
The Secrets of Successful Doctoral Candidates and their Supervisors:
International Perspectives.

Dr Ing Jean-Philippe Lonjaret  & Samira Parishan - Berlin
International Graduate School of Natural Sciences and Engineering
(BIG-NSE), Germany
The BIG-NSE in Berlin: Innovative Concepts for the Enhancement of
Interdisciplinary and Collaborative Research on PhD Level.

Professor Gary W. Slater - University of Ottawa, Canada
Recruitment and Supervision of International Postgraduates in a
Multicultural and Multi-disciplinary Environment: Integration, Peer
Learning and Structures.

Dr David Oliva Uribe - Council for Doctoral Education, European
University Association
The EUA Council for Doctoral Education: Salzburg and Beyond - The
Future of the Doctorate in Europe.

URBAN + INTERIOR: 2015 IDEA Journal - is available online for free.

Unprecedented movements of people, growth in population density and
forces of capitalism and globalism shape the twenty-first century
urban environment and transform how people live in the world -
spatially, temporally and subjectively. In the disciplines of interior
design, interior architecture, architecture, spatial design and urban
design, one encounters the coupling of the conditions of 'urban' and
'interior' with increasing frequency. Urban interior, interior
urbanization, urban interiority and urban interior design are used as
provocations for designing, teaching and writing - researching and
thinking - in cities and cultures as diverse as Milan, Madrid,
Melbourne, Jakarta, Austin, London, Stockholm, Bangkok, Singapore and
Bogota.

While some might see this as the bringing together of vastly distinct
conditions and scales, the conjunction - urban and interior - engages
the potential of practices and techniques of disciplines concerned
with interior and urbanism in new ways involving multi-scalar,
multi-cultural, multi-discipline approaches. A rethinking of the
concept of 'interior' is invited where the defining characteristics of
enclosure, form and structure are opened to other possibilities than
an equation with the inside of a building. 'Interior' is introduced
here in an expanded sense. A thinking differently about urbanism and
the concept of 'urban' is also invoked.

Download at: http://idea-edu.com/journal/2015-idea-journal/

7-9 June 2017 - Design Management Academy 2017
Hong Kong

2017 Early Bird Registration is now OPEN Please see the link for
registration

details:http://designmanagementacademy.com/dma2017/registration-fee/

Design Research Society and Design Society members have access to
members only discounted conference fees.

The LAST CALL FOR PHD SEMINAR @DMA 2017
Closing date for applications for the PhD in Design Management
Seminar: 31 March 2017 Please see the link for
details:http://designmanagementacademy.com/dma2017/phd-seminar/

SEARCHING DESIGN RESEARCH NEWS

Searching back issues of DRN is best done through the
customisable JISC search engine at:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/design-research

Look under 'Search Archives'

SERVICES OF THE DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

o  Design Research News is the digital newsletter of the
  Design Research Society.  It communicates news about
  research throughout the world.  It is emailed
  approximately monthly and is free of charge.  You may
  subscribe and unsubscribe at the following site:

  http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/design-research.html

o  PHD-DESIGN is a discussion list open for unmoderated
  discussion on all matters related to the PhD in design.
  Topics include philosophies and theories of design, research
  methods, curriculum development, and relations between
  theory and practice. You may subscribe and unsubscribe at
  the following site:

  http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/phd-design.html

o  Design Studies is the International Journal for Design
  Research in Engineering, Architecture, Products and Systems,
  which is published in co-operation with the Design Research
  Society.

  DRS members can subscribe to the journal at special rates.

  http://www.elsevier.nl/locate/inca/30409/

To SUBSCRIBE to DRN:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=design-
research&A=1

To UNSUBSCRIBE FROM DRN:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=design-
research&A=1

Please ensure that when you change email addresses, you let the
server know at:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=design-
research&A=1

CONTRIBUTIONS

Information to the editor, David Durling
Professor of Design Research, Coventry University, UK