Re: Christmas Cracker

"Grant, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>

Grant, Chris

Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:48:46 +0000

Interesting debate and discussion and we see different disciplines have different approaches. At a recent workshop where we discussed this an argument was put forward from Law that over 70 has to be perfect so that students understand there is a cost and time implication in employment for work that has any errors.

I too use the full range of marks at both ends. The highest marks I have ever given were well into the 90s and I can still remember both the students and the work (in two cases I borrowed - with permission - from their work the following years to enhance teaching material and at least one of them went onto an academic career) so now I ask myself will I still remember this in 2 years time (for the right reasons) - if so then it's probably a 90s.  I also tend to reward work that makes me think with the very high marks.

At the bottom end I have had numerous discusions as an internal moderator because colleagues have given marks of 30 to dire work "so the student isn't demotivated" but a mark of 30 didn't reflect the amount of extra work needed to get it to a pass standard and isn't doing the student any favours. If it's dire then the student needs to know that (and similarly if I will remember it in 2 years time its probably single figures).

I work in TNE and have cultural challenges with some overseas colleagues who give 100 for work that meets the learning outcomes whereas I see meeting the learning outcomes as a bare pass (as refelcted in our assessment criteria).

Its nice to see these interesting debates develop as we move towards holidays and we have more chance to think beyond the next class or the pile of marking.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Chris

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
From: Geoffrey Darnton <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 21/12/2016 12:26 p.m. (GMT+00:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Christmas Cracker

Interesting questions Linda - I have my own answers.

I have just finished marking a set of Level 5 assignments. I gave a mark of 100 to two of those assignments (until now, that had only happened to one student in a group). The lowest mark I gave was 15 (apart from 0 for non-submission). The high performing students were so motivated and interested in their assignments that what they wrote would even have met the Level 7 descriptors.

I do not consider a mark of 100% to indicate 'perfection' - indeed, even when I give 100% I suggest ways the work could be improved. For me, what matters is the context in which the work is being done: what is the level (and hence the level descriptors)? what is the credit value of the module (hence an indication of total effort that can be expected)? I then ask "could I reasonably have expected this student to have done more than they have done with the relevant contextual constraints (time, level, ILOs, etc.)? - if the answer to that question is 'no', I must give serious consideration to 100% or a very high mark.

I reject the concept that very high marks should be reserved for work that is 'publishable'. Writing an assignment, or an exam paper, are nothing like writing a conference or journal paper. If I wanted a restriction like that, the assignment brief would have to tell the students that what they need to write is a conference or journal paper as the assignment! (that can also work well).

Another observation I make is that in my many years of experience, enforced word counts, particularly low word counts, are very damaging to the best students. Wherever possible I try to disapply enforced word counts. 'Guideline' is a wonderful weasel word to do that!

What motivates my students is telling them up front that 100% is achievable (and has been achieved), giving them the chance to write about something that really motivates them, and explaining I don't care how many words they use (I know lots of academics are wedded to enforced word counts!). That works for some students, but there is always a residual group who don't care about coming to class, and approach everything very last minute. Hence, the 15s and 20s, not 100s.

best wishes
Geoffrey