PHD-DESIGN  November 2016

PHD-DESIGN November 2016

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Steps to automated design of book covers and design research participation

"Salisbury, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 13 Nov 2016 13:08:03 +0000

text/plain

Hi Ken,

Just to clarify- What I am really talking about is creativity (yes, that old chestnut). The many examples of tasks/ jobs lost to technology that you cite are those that may require skill but not creativity. The weavers were not creating the designs. They were executing them (albeit skilfully). Typesetting is not the same as designing. The same goes for printing, drafting, visualising etc etc. Of course technology has  been hugely beneficial here with the consequent loss of jobs. This is inevitable. I take a pragmatic view - there is no point in fearing technology if it can do a better job. When it comes to creative design however, it can't. When it can, we will be living in a very different world.

Best wishes,

Martin

Professor Martin Salisbury
Course Leader, MA Children's Book Illustration
Director, The Centre for Children's Book Studies
Cambridge School of Art
0845 196 2351

http://www.cambridgemashow.com

http://www.anglia.ac.uk/ruskin/en/home/microsites/ccbs.html