Help for LIS-LINK Archives

LIS-LINK Archives

LIS-LINK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-LINK Home

LIS-LINK  September 2016

LIS-LINK September 2016

Recognition for Review is focus for Peer Review Week 2016

Elaine Devine <[log in to unmask]>

Elaine Devine <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Sep 2016 14:50:48 +0100

***APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTING***

To honour and celebrate peer review, a group of organizations is working collaboratively to plan a week of activities and events. The group is delighted to announce that the second annual Peer Review Week will run from September 19 - 25, 2016.
This year’s theme is Recognition for Review, exploring all aspects of how those participating in review activity – in publishing, grant review, conference submissions, promotion and tenure, and more – should be recognized for their contribution.

Planned activities include virtual and in-person events including webinars, videos, interviews and social media activities designed to improve understanding of the principle of peer review and how it is practiced within the scholarly community. A list of events is available at peerreviewweek.wordpress.com, and throughout the week many organizations will join in with additional activities.

The Peer Review Week website (www.peerreviewweek.org) also features a list of online resources to advance our understanding of peer review and its role in 21st century scholarship.

The idea for the first Peer Review Week, held in 2015, grew out of informal conversations between ORCID, ScienceOpen, PRE (Peer Review Evaluation), Sense About Science, and Wiley, the organizations that planned and launched the initiative in 2015.
In 2016, over 20 organizations are signed on to the Peer Review Week organizing committee. Coordinating efforts enables us to share widely and powerfully the message that good peer review, whatever shape or form it might take, is critical to scholarly communications.

“I am absolutely delighted that last year's first - very small and experimental - Peer Review Week generated such support and enthusiasm from the community that we will be celebrating it again in 2016,” commented Peer Review Week Chairperson Alice Meadows. “Our much expanded planning committee represents a broader and deeper cross-section of organizations involved in peer review, and our theme of peer review recognition should resonate equally with reviewers and the organizations they are reviewing for - associations, funders, publishers, research institutions, and others. I hope that Peer Review Week 2016 will bring all stakeholders together to celebrate the importance of good peer review to all forms of scholarly communications.”

For more information, and to get involved with Peer Review Week activities, visit www.peerreviewweek.org and follow #PeerRevWk16 and #RecognizeReview

Organizing Committee:
AAUP
Aries Systems
COPE
Council of Science Editors
eLife
Elsevier
F1000
Federation of European Microbiological Societies
International Congress on Peer Review and Scientific Publication
ISMTE
ORCID
Origin Editorial
The Optical Society (OSA)