Help for LIS-ILL Archives

LIS-ILL Archives

LIS-ILL@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-ILL Home

LIS-ILL  September 2016

LIS-ILL September 2016

Re: Dealing with Musical & vocals scores under Document Supply

Natalie Guest <[log in to unmask]>

Natalie Guest <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Sep 2016 07:34:48 +0000

Hi Andy

We do this for our orchestra / chorus. We source the music from information on the Encore database - it tells you which libraries have which scores: http://asp.bibits.no/encore/wsSearch.Asp

Libraries normally charge 1 inter-library loan fee (eg BL loan price £13.95) per 20 vocal scores, and 1-2 loan fees for an orchestral set (this does vary between libraries and normally they will tell you the cost at the time you enquire.) Consequently we charge 1 ILL fee (we charge everyone £3 per ILL) to our end user per BL loan fee that we are being charged.

Some libraries don't lend on ILL, they hire scores instead - so they have a price per score and a delivery charge (ones I *think* do this are Manchester and Worcester library.) We don't normally go to hiring libraries - if they are the only location we advise our requester and ask them to go direct, which is usually possible with this type of arrangement.

One other thing we do as standard is to add about 4-6 weeks onto the end of the loan period to give us enough time to retrieve all the parts / copies from the group - they often take several weeks after the concert to trickle back in (especially if the concert was at the end of term). It also allows extra time if we need to purchase replacement copies of any of the parts which are still outstanding (this happens to us frequently.)

Don't know if our experience / method is typical but this is how we manage ours!

Good luck,

Natalie
Natalie Guest
Document Delivery Co-ordinator, Liaison Librarian for Biological Sciences & Multimedia manager
University of Reading Library, Whiteknights, PO Box 223, Reading RG6 6AE
0118 378 8786
www.reading.ac.uk/library

Working pattern: Mon-Tue and Thu-Fri