CCP4BB  July 2016

CCP4BB July 2016

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Why don't we quote errors on unit cell constants in MX

Ethan A Merritt <[log in to unmask]>

Ethan A Merritt <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Jul 2016 12:06:56 -0700

text/plain

On Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 19:13:50 Harry Powell wrote:
> hi Ethan
>
> I think this is absolutely wrong. The default behaviour of Mosflm is
> to refine the cell parameters via post-refinement before integration
> and gives accurate values;

Yes.  This is what I meant when I inaccurately said "during indexing".
When you reach the step of "Cell Refinement" in the imosflm interface
you can keep tweaking the choice of specific frames and the number of
cycles until you accept the residuals. If for some reason you have
problems and decide to proceed anyhow, you can do that easily enough
even though the residuals are larger than they should be.
So far as I know, the imperfect cell parameters are then held fixed
throughout the subsequent integration run.  Do I have that wrong?

> HKL refines the cell parameters accurately following integration,
> in the scaling step, which should give equally correct refined values.

Yes, but unlike mosflm, HKL by default continues to refine the cell parameters
incrementally as it proceeds through the full set of frames being integrated.
So even if your initial values are poor, they are gradually corrected as
you go. This mode of operation is necessitated by the fact that HKL does
its initial indexing using only the first few frames, whereas mosflm uses
data from frames well separated in reciprocal space.  So mosflm is more
likely to start out with well-refined cell parameters, but HKL makes up for
this by using a default protocol that continues to refine them as it goes.
Typically you see the fit of predicted spots to observed spots improve as
the integration proceeds.

> Why do you say the default behaviour of Mosflm would be more likely to give incorrect refinement?

I didn't say it would be more likely to give incorrect refinement.
My intended point was that if for some reason the initial refined values were
not ideal for describing later frames in the data collection run, they will
not (so far as I know) be adjusted when those later frames are eventually
encountered.  This is in contrast to HKL, where so long as the change is
gradual enough to be tracked, the cell parameters and the corresponding
spot predictions will be continually optimized as the integration proceeds.

Whichever program you are using you can go back and do additional post-refinement
if necessary after integration and initial scaling, which I pointed out was better
than expecting the model refinement program to detect and fix things later using
only the merged data.  People do not typically do this, and I think that is
usually fine.  The current discussion comes from asking whether you would
get a better final model if more effort were spent in refining the cell parameters.
I am inclined to doubt it, but have only anecdotal evidence to back that up.

	cheers,

		Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt