Re: Student nominated Teacher Awards

Debby Cotton <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 May 2016 08:11:09 +0000

Information about Plymouth's scheme is available here:
http://www.upsu.com/studentvoice/awards/sstarawards/
It awards prizes to student reps as well as staff and has been running for several years.
Perhaps because awards are across a range of categories - and very much not just about lecturing as a performance - we have not observed the diversity issues alluded to below, although I can see that this could potentially be an issue as there is substantial evidence that student evaluations favour men.
One of my favourite elements of the scheme here - run entirely by our SU - is the development of an 'Excellent teaching Guide'  (available at the link above) which is based on the information in the nominations.
Best wishes,
Debby

Debby Cotton
Professor of Higher Education Pedagogy & Head of Educational Development
Fellow of the Pedagogic Research Institute and Observatory (PedRIO)
Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (PFHEA) and National Teaching Fellow (NTF).
Teaching and Learning Support,
Room 107, 3 Endsleigh Place,
Plymouth University,
Devon PL4 8AA
Tel: 01752 587614
http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/staff/dcotton
www.plymouth.ac.uk/pedrio
Follow me on Twitter: @profdcotton

Plymouth University: Top of the UK Green League, 2015