Re: Student nominated Teacher Awards

Gina Wisker <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 May 2016 17:31:21 +0000

we have been doing this at Brighton since I got there in 2006 and prior to that at ARU- ie two sets of awards  one student led entirely
and another student nominations and colleagues  write an application  like an NTFs  just  been part of this years judging!  (they win £250 for ed dev/student facing activity)
Gina

From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of McGowan, Brian [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 16 May 2016 17:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Student nominated Teacher Awards

Hi everyone
We do this at Ulster: http://uusu.org/student-awards
Thanks
Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jason Davies
Sent: 16 May 2016 16:27
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear list

UCL has had these for several years now (http://uclu.org/representation/education/student-choice-teaching-awards).
The entire thing is student-led and run.

However, this year's winners were virtually all men and were not representative generally of UCL's very international mix, so people were worrying about bias in evaluation processes (essentially, students favouring white men) -- I don't think it's controversial to say that happens.

UCL has no role in it apart from organising the awards (along with our Provost's Teaching Awards, which is self-nomination and judged by a panel from across the university) and funding the prizes -- why don't you ask your students to come up with their own criteria?;)

Interested to hear what others think so do please do the usual collation.

Cheers
Jason Davies
CALT, UCL

On 16 May 2016, at 16:05, Sarah Edwards wrote:

> Apologies if this subject has ‘done the rounds’ before, but do any
> members have experience of staff being nominated for Teaching Awards
> by students?
>
> We are considering these around various categories, but wondered if
> members had positive/negative feedback about such schemes and defining
> criteria?

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information which is covered by legal, professional or other privilege. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager at [log in to unmask] and delete this email immediately. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Ulster University. The University's computer systems may be monitored and communications carried out on them may be recorded to secure the effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes. Ulster University does not guarantee that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure. Unless expressly stated in the body of a separate attachment, the text of email is not intended to form a binding contract. Correspondence to and from the University may be subject to requests for disclosure by 3rd parties under relevant legislation. The University of Ulster was founded by Royal Charter in 1984 and is registered with company number RC000726 and VAT registered number GB672390524.The primary contact address for Ulster University in Northern Ireland is Cromore Road, Coleraine, Co. Londonderry BT52 1SA

This email has been scanned by MessageLabs' Email Security System
on behalf of the University of Brighton. For more information see:
https://staff.brighton.ac.uk/is/computing/Pages/Email/spam.aspx