Re: Mental Health Record Retention

Tony May <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 May 2016 08:22:18 +0000

Stu
We are also using 20 years based on the NHS code of practice part 2 (second edition page 34
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/records-management-nhs-code-of-practice

As we have a lot to do with the NHS it seems sensible to follow their guidance on health related records.
Thanks
Tony

Sent: 04 May 2016 08:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Mental Health Record Retention

Hi All

As a Social Care Charity dealing with individuals classed as having mental disorders under the Mental Health Act 1983 we create a fair amount of records relating to their support.

When it comes to retaining these records we have followed the guidance from the Records Management: NHS Code of Practice which gives the guidance of 20 years retention.

However I am often questioned as to where the 20 years comes from and what is it justification? The Records Management: NHS Code of Practice simply stipulates that the doctrine comes from the Mental Health Act 1983 however after trying to find something resembling this 20 year retention date in the legislation I have drawn a blank, although the piece of legislation is massive and I may have missed something.

I would be very grateful if anyone could enlighten me on where this 20 years doctrine comes from and any other information on retaining information relating to individuals with a mental health disorders.

Kind Regards
Stu Ashton
Information Governance Officer

For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]

****Disclaimer****
The information in this message should be regarded as confidential and is intended for the addressee only unless explicitly stated.  If you have received this message in error it must be deleted and the sender notified.  The views expressed in this message are personal and not necessarily those of Hertfordshire County Council unless explicitly stated. Please be aware that emails sent to or received from Hertfordshire County Council may be intercepted and read by the council.  Interception will only occur to ensure compliance with council policies or procedures or regulatory obligations, to prevent or deter crime, or for the purposes of essential maintenance or support of the email system.