MIDWIFERY-RESEARCH  May 2016

MIDWIFERY-RESEARCH May 2016

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: MIDWIFERY-RESEARCH Digest - 27 May 2016 to 30 May 2016 (#2016-120)

"Susan Crowther (fns)" <[log in to unmask]>

A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research." <[log in to unmask]>, Susan Crowther (fns)

Tue, 31 May 2016 07:58:57 +0000

text/plain

Hi all

Reporters and their often knee jerk sensational responses to childbirth and midwifery have been a struggle for years. This is not just the UK. I, like others, have come under the scrutiny of the press when supporting women in their choices on a few occasions. It is so disempowering and does not serve the public well who remain in the dark to the excellent evidence that supports and refutes practices in maternity.

Should we endeavour to harness a collective approach to journalism for the sake of good information sharing? Do journalists realise that they are creating and strengthening a mood of fear that already permeates a lot of maternity and childbirth?

Go well

Susan

Dr Susan Crowther

Professor of Midwifery

Faculty of Health and Social Care | Robert Gordon University | Garthdee Road|Aberdeen | AB10 7AQ

T: +44 (0) 1224 263291

ORCID ID:  0000-0002-4133-2189

Twitter:  @SusanCrowtherMW

Blog: http://drsusancrowther.wordpress.com

Those finding themselves at birth need to pause .. allow the profundity of its meaning to surface and inspire their actions