JiscMail Logo
Email discussion lists for the UK Education and Research communities

Help for BRITARCH Archives


BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH Archives


BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK


View:

Message:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

Font:

Proportional Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  May 2016

BRITARCH May 2016

Options

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Subject:

Re: Vote Leave

From:

Kevin Flude <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

[log in to unmask]

Date:

Tue, 31 May 2016 20:04:51 +0100

Content-Type:

text/plain

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

text/plain (226 lines)

You didn't, Michael, you answered the questions you wanted to answer not
the ones I posted.

But, I am a fully signed up believer in democracy.  I don't think that is
incompatible with support for the EU.

kevin


Kevin Flude



On 31 May 2016 at 12:47, Michael <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Kevin, I have answered your questions and I see no reason to fill up the
> list further.
>
> But fundamentally, it seems to me the ONLY reason you are so against
> democracy and so in favour of the anti-democratic EU, is because you
> dislike the democratic choice of government of the rest of the people of
> the UK.
>
> Mike
>
>
> On 31/05/2016 12:32, Kevin Flude wrote:
>
>
>
> 1. You have nothing to say about the threat to the BBC from a Right wing
> Conservative government coming in on the back of Brexit.  The BBC is also
> much more than a news service.
> 2. You sidestep the argument about the NHS and concentrate on your idea of
> the coming failure of the economy in the EU.    You do not address the risk
> to the NHS from a Right wing Conservative government coming in on the back
> of Brexit.
> 3.you have no argument about tolerance and a threat from a  Right wing
> Conservative government coming in on the back of Brexit.
> 4. You discuss risk to workers in a failing EU but fail to address the
> threat to workers rights from a Right wing Conservative government coming
> in on the back of Brexit.  For you a wage below the cost of living is
> clearly a boost to the economy.
>
> You don't mention whether a Right wing Conservative government coming in
> on the back of Brexit is likely to be good for archaeology.
>
>
> I'm not engaging with your argument in detail because I think it is beside
> the point.   But your argument about an association of states, encompasses
> Europe and the States, but it is also true of Great Britain, and here a
> common currency and political union does not seem to invariable led to the
> sort of outcomes which you seem to think are inevitable for Europe.
>
> What is happening to Europe is partly at least because of a huge financial
> crash which you can blame on London, New York and Tokyo and a new phenomena
> called Globalisation.  Its not caused by  Europe.
>
> I don't think anyone knows what the economic effect will be of BREXIT, its
> all smoke and mirrors.  What we do know is that it is very likely that a
> vote for Brexit is likely to bring in a very unpleasant Right wing
> government into power, full of mavericks who seem to me to be the biggest
> threat to British values since Enoch Powell.
>
> kevin
>
>
> Kevin Flude
>
> Creative Director: The Old Operating Theatre Museum
> And Did Those Feet/Cultural Heritage Resources
> Web site <http://www.chr.org.uk>http://www.chr.org.uk
>
> Blog: <http://anddidthosefeet.blogspot.co.uk/>
> http://anddidthosefeet.blogspot.co.uk/
>
>
>
> On 31 May 2016 at 11:03, Michael <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> On 30/05/2016 07:38, Kevin Flude wrote:
>>
>>> OK, Michael, I respect your passion for democracy and the British way of
>>> life.
>>>
>>> But do you really think British values are more at risk from Europe or
>>> from
>>> right wing Conservatives?
>>>
>>> 1. Does Europe threaten the BBC?
>>> 2.Is Europe a threat to the NHS?
>>> 3. Is Europe a threat to decent British values of tolerance?
>>> 4. Is Europe a threat to workers rights?
>>>
>>> "Europe" is not a threat to anyone.
>>
>> 1. Does EU threaten the BBC?
>>
>> The BBC are threatened not so much by the EU, but by the way the internet
>> bypasses the media and allows people to hear the truth which the BBC does
>> not wish to broadcast due to its own internal political bias. As a result
>> on more and more subjects  people are discovering the BBC is far from
>> impartial (e.g. their clear bias against Scottish referendum yes - and I
>> say that having voted No). The BBC are highly biased almost always being a
>> mouthpiece of the current government and the "establishment" (i.e.
>> academia). Fortunately their influence (and that of the "establishment")
>> has massively decreased due to the numerous other channels and the
>> internet. As a result, the BBC bias is becoming more and more obvious to
>> more and more people. And it is for this reason that I cannot see people
>> being prepared to pay for them for many more years.
>>
>> 2.Is EU a threat to the NHS?
>>
>> Unequivocally, for two main reasons - the huge cost of the EU and the
>> issues free movement forcing nations to do away with "free" services.
>> First on the economics, after Grexit, the amount we already pay into the
>> EU will have to massively increase in order to stabilise the Euro even
>> though we are not part of that daft project. Unfortunately, the alternative
>> is not good either, because the Eurozone will fall apart, which will lead
>> to economic crisis and massive social unrest which will make the present
>> riots look like child's play. Either way if we stay in the EU we will have
>> a lot less money for things like academia and the NHS. And if you think
>> present austerity is bad, just you wait for the next round that will come
>> when Grexit hits (put off to just after Brexit you'll note) because there
>> will be no way will not be able to afford the same generous public pensions
>> or NHS.
>>
>> But, even if you discount the economic chaos facing the EU with Grexit
>> the EU is certainly a threat to the NHS. If you are to have free movement
>> of people, by the law of human nature, any REGION that gives free
>> facilities like the NHS and which has unrestricted entry, will inevitably
>> attract health tourism. And because we cannot restrict who comes here to
>> use the NHS, it is inevitable that in order to make our health service
>> economic we need to deter health tourism, and because we can't restrict who
>> comes here to use our health service, to avoid costs spiralling, we will be
>> forced to move to a model similar to that in other EU countries so it is no
>> longer attractive to come here to use our "free" services.
>>
>> 3. Is EU a threat to decent British values of tolerance?
>>
>> 4. Is EU a threat to workers rights?
>>
>> The most fundamental worker's "right" is to have work or to turn it
>> around you have to be a worker before you get "worker's rights". History
>> has time and time again showed that undemocratic soviet/Nazi-style
>> bureaucracies like the EU are economic disasters. And this is indeed coming
>> true again the more control the EU gains. Because  with "Europe" being the
>> slowest growing continent economically and with the EU destroying small
>> businesses which are the future of any economy, and with the massive waste
>> and bureaucracy of Europe increasing and economic and social unrest about
>> to hit us all after Grexit ...
>>
>> We are already seeing massive youth unemployment in many countries, and
>> that problem will get much worse after Grexit.
>>
>> But the bigger issue is that whilst workers "rights", look superficially
>> attractive, what employment law often does is to deny people the right to
>> work unless they can find an employer who can afford the workers. For
>> example, in the US a recent study showed that as a result of the minimum
>> wage for young people, those young people lost work in fast food outlets
>> that then started using Robots.
>>
>> So, increasing "worker's rights" often has the opposite effect - of
>> denying people the most fundamental worker's right and that is a job.
>>
>> And if you then start applying such measures across disparate economic
>> areas like the EU - what you then find, is that areas of deprivation with
>> low investment in economic infrastructure become unable to compete with
>> wealthier regions with high economic investment. In other words, "workers
>> rights" tend to deny work to those in deprived areas who have little going
>> for them other than that they will would rather sacrifice a few "rights" in
>> return for having the most fundamental right of being in work. That is one
>> reason why the US has managed to stay together - very few worker's rights
>> means poorly performing areas can attract work.
>>
>> To take a simple example in the EU. If you require companies working in
>> East Europe to pay the same wages and conditions as those in Germany -
>> there is absolutely no point for an industry whose main cost is worker's
>> wages to locate in east Europe. The wage costs are the same, so what
>> matters is the output per employee and as German workers tend to be more
>> productive due to culture and historic investment in education etc., there
>> is no incentive to go anywhere else but Germany.
>>
>> So, rich countries love the EU imposing "worker's rights" on poorer
>> regions as it makes poorer areas unable to compete and so brings more work
>> and prosperity to areas like Germany.
>>
>> So, as a result of "worker's rights" you tend to increase the economic
>> problems of less well performing areas, this in turn creates massive
>> migration from poorly performing areas to areas like the UK and Germany.
>> When you then add on free services like the NHS and welfare benefits, areas
>> like the UK then become highly attractive to those in deprived areas. This
>> then means the poor from East Europe move to the poorer areas of Germany
>> and the UK where they directly compete for jobs in these areas. This then
>> creates unemployment for the low paid workers in the UK and Germany which
>> in turn leads to huge social problems increasing deprivation and creating
>> social unrest and intolerance.
>>
>> We have already seen a microcosm of this in the UK, with the
>> "North-south" divide where many in the North and Scotland are hugely
>> resentful of the south. This is undoubtedly the main driving force behind
>> the movement for Scotland to leave the UK. It is also massively increasing
>> intolerance.  I have first hand experienced the anti-English racism that
>> has led to in Scotland. I have also seen a marked increase in anti-Scottish
>> racism from those in England.
>>
>> So, yes the EU is a direct threat to our historic tolerance. Because not
>> only will the EU increase the disparity between nations which were stupid
>> enough to take so diametrically opposed countries like Greece and Germany
>> into the same currency - but in turn that disparity will lead to mass
>> population movements, the creation of issues for the poor even in countries
>> which are generally doing well - and when the EU AS IS MUST - tries to
>> address all these economic and social issues by massive taxation to enable
>> transfer payments from the "HARD WORKING" prosperous areas to the
>> "FRIVOLOUS" areas like Greece - this will create huge resentment of those
>> bearing the increased taxation of the poorer regions and peoples.
>>
>> Mike Haseler
>>
>
>
>
> --
> http://mons-graupius.co.uk
>

Top of Message | Previous Page | Permalink

JiscMail Tools


RSS Feeds and Sharing


Advanced Options


Archives

September 2019
August 2019
July 2019
June 2019
May 2019
April 2019
March 2019
February 2019
January 2019
December 2018
November 2018
October 2018
September 2018
August 2018
July 2018
June 2018
May 2018
April 2018
March 2018
February 2018
January 2018
December 2017
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006
December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005
December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004
March 2004
February 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003
October 2003
September 2003
August 2003
July 2003
June 2003
May 2003
April 2003
March 2003
February 2003
January 2003
December 2002
November 2002
October 2002
September 2002
August 2002
July 2002
June 2002
May 2002
April 2002
March 2002
February 2002
January 2002
December 2001
November 2001
October 2001
September 2001
August 2001
July 2001
June 2001
May 2001
April 2001
March 2001
February 2001
January 2001
December 2000
November 2000
October 2000
September 2000
August 2000
July 2000
June 2000
May 2000
April 2000
March 2000
February 2000
January 2000
December 1999
November 1999
October 1999
September 1999
August 1999
July 1999
June 1999
May 1999
April 1999
March 1999
February 1999
January 1999
December 1998
November 1998
October 1998
September 1998
August 1998
July 1998
June 1998
May 1998


JiscMail is a Jisc service.

View our service policies at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/ and Jisc's privacy policy at https://www.jisc.ac.uk/website/privacy-notice

Secured by F-Secure Anti-Virus CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager