Re: Vote Leave

Michael <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 31 May 2016 11:03:33 +0100

On 30/05/2016 07:38, Kevin Flude wrote:
> OK, Michael, I respect your passion for democracy and the British way of
> life.
>
> But do you really think British values are more at risk from Europe or from
> right wing Conservatives?
>
> 1. Does Europe threaten the BBC?
> 2.Is Europe a threat to the NHS?
> 3. Is Europe a threat to decent British values of tolerance?
> 4. Is Europe a threat to workers rights?

"Europe" is not a threat to anyone.

1. Does EU threaten the BBC?

The BBC are threatened not so much by the EU, but by the way the
internet bypasses the media and allows people to hear the truth which
the BBC does not wish to broadcast due to its own internal political
bias. As a result on more and more subjects  people are discovering the
BBC is far from impartial (e.g. their clear bias against Scottish
referendum yes - and I say that having voted No). The BBC are highly
biased almost always being a mouthpiece of the current government and
the "establishment" (i.e. academia). Fortunately their influence (and
that of the "establishment") has massively decreased due to the numerous
other channels and the internet. As a result, the BBC bias is becoming
more and more obvious to more and more people. And it is for this reason
that I cannot see people being prepared to pay for them for many more years.

2.Is EU a threat to the NHS?

Unequivocally, for two main reasons - the huge cost of the EU and the
issues free movement forcing nations to do away with "free" services.
First on the economics, after Grexit, the amount we already pay into the
EU will have to massively increase in order to stabilise the Euro even
though we are not part of that daft project. Unfortunately, the
alternative is not good either, because the Eurozone will fall apart,
which will lead to economic crisis and massive social unrest which will
make the present riots look like child's play. Either way if we stay in
the EU we will have a lot less money for things like academia and the
NHS. And if you think present austerity is bad, just you wait for the
next round that will come when Grexit hits (put off to just after Brexit
you'll note) because there will be no way will not be able to afford the
same generous public pensions or NHS.

But, even if you discount the economic chaos facing the EU with Grexit
the EU is certainly a threat to the NHS. If you are to have free
movement of people, by the law of human nature, any REGION that gives
free facilities like the NHS and which has unrestricted entry, will
inevitably attract health tourism. And because we cannot restrict who
comes here to use the NHS, it is inevitable that in order to make our
health service economic we need to deter health tourism, and because we
can't restrict who comes here to use our health service, to avoid costs
spiralling, we will be forced to move to a model similar to that in
other EU countries so it is no longer attractive to come here to use our
"free" services.

3. Is EU a threat to decent British values of tolerance?

4. Is EU a threat to workers rights?

The most fundamental worker's "right" is to have work or to turn it
around you have to be a worker before you get "worker's rights". History
has time and time again showed that undemocratic soviet/Nazi-style
bureaucracies like the EU are economic disasters. And this is indeed
coming true again the more control the EU gains. Because  with "Europe"
being the slowest growing continent economically and with the EU
destroying small businesses which are the future of any economy, and
with the massive waste and bureaucracy of Europe increasing and economic
and social unrest about to hit us all after Grexit ...

We are already seeing massive youth unemployment in many countries, and
that problem will get much worse after Grexit.

But the bigger issue is that whilst workers "rights", look superficially
attractive, what employment law often does is to deny people the right
to work unless they can find an employer who can afford the workers. For
example, in the US a recent study showed that as a result of the minimum
wage for young people, those young people lost work in fast food outlets
that then started using Robots.

So, increasing "worker's rights" often has the opposite effect - of
denying people the most fundamental worker's right and that is a job.

And if you then start applying such measures across disparate economic
areas like the EU - what you then find, is that areas of deprivation
with low investment in economic infrastructure become unable to compete
with wealthier regions with high economic investment. In other words,
"workers rights" tend to deny work to those in deprived areas who have
little going for them other than that they will would rather sacrifice a
few "rights" in return for having the most fundamental right of being in
work. That is one reason why the US has managed to stay together - very
few worker's rights means poorly performing areas can attract work.

To take a simple example in the EU. If you require companies working in
East Europe to pay the same wages and conditions as those in Germany -
there is absolutely no point for an industry whose main cost is worker's
wages to locate in east Europe. The wage costs are the same, so what
matters is the output per employee and as German workers tend to be more
productive due to culture and historic investment in education etc.,
there is no incentive to go anywhere else but Germany.

So, rich countries love the EU imposing "worker's rights" on poorer
regions as it makes poorer areas unable to compete and so brings more
work and prosperity to areas like Germany.

So, as a result of "worker's rights" you tend to increase the economic
problems of less well performing areas, this in turn creates massive
migration from poorly performing areas to areas like the UK and Germany.
When you then add on free services like the NHS and welfare benefits,
areas like the UK then become highly attractive to those in deprived
areas. This then means the poor from East Europe move to the poorer
areas of Germany and the UK where they directly compete for jobs in
these areas. This then creates unemployment for the low paid workers in
the UK and Germany which in turn leads to huge social problems
increasing deprivation and creating social unrest and intolerance.

We have already seen a microcosm of this in the UK, with the
"North-south" divide where many in the North and Scotland are hugely
resentful of the south. This is undoubtedly the main driving force
behind the movement for Scotland to leave the UK. It is also massively
increasing intolerance.  I have first hand experienced the anti-English
racism that has led to in Scotland. I have also seen a marked increase
in anti-Scottish racism from those in England.

So, yes the EU is a direct threat to our historic tolerance. Because not
only will the EU increase the disparity between nations which were
stupid enough to take so diametrically opposed countries like Greece and
Germany into the same currency - but in turn that disparity will lead to
mass population movements, the creation of issues for the poor even in
countries which are generally doing well - and when the EU AS IS MUST -
tries to address all these economic and social issues by massive
taxation to enable transfer payments from the "HARD WORKING" prosperous
areas to the "FRIVOLOUS" areas like Greece - this will create huge
resentment of those bearing the increased taxation of the poorer regions
and peoples.

Mike Haseler