RESEARCH-DATAMAN  April 2016

RESEARCH-DATAMAN April 2016

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: How do you handle supplementary info?

Robert Darby <[log in to unmask]>

Research Data Management discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:37:26 +0000

text/plain

Hello all

We have had a similar discussion here at Reading in recent weeks, prompted by the occasional submission of SI files along with papers uploaded to our publications repository, CentAUR. Our experience so far has been that most authors do not deposit SI, that SI are usually single PDFs, sometimes a handful of files, containing abbreviated representations of data, often reproducing figures and tables included in the body of the article, that they are generally not very usable, and would make little sense as standalone datasets. This is our first pass at a policy and definitions:

Policy

Primary research data that underlie research publications should be submitted to the University’s Research Data Archive (or another suitable data service), where they will be preserved and access will be managed appropriately.

Data submitted to CentAUR as supplementary information with the deposited publication, where the supplementary information is or will be provided in the same form alongside the published article on the publisher’s website, should be retained in CentAUR.

Any researcher who submits supplementary information to CentAUR should be advised to ensure they have preserved and enabled access to their underlying research data using the University Research Data Archive or another suitable data service.

Definitions

Supplementary information

Supplementary information is defined as one or more files representing data collected or generated in the reported research, which are, or are intended to be published alongside the article on the publisher’s website. For the purpose of this policy supplementary information is considered to form part of the associated article. [We understand the article as a complex digital object, which includes the paper itself, supplementary data or other files, and the publisher’s abstract page and associated metadata. All of these elements are usually identified by a single DOI].

Supplementary information will typically have one or more of the following characteristics:

- the information is in the form of a PDF or text document containing text and figures or tables, or a few small image or audiovisual files;

- the information reproduces and collects together figures, tables, images, videos, etc. that are presented in the article, but adds no new information;

- the amount of information provided is negligible.

Supplementary information has little or no use-value as a standalone dataset, and would not be suitable for inclusion in the Archive.

Underlying data

Underlying data are primary or raw data relating to a publication or research activity, which constitute a comprehensive, coherent, usable dataset, and which are not, or are not intended to be published alongside the article on the publisher’s website.

Underlying data will have one or more of the following characteristics:

- the data do not reproduce the supplementary information published alongside the article on the publisher’s website, but add new data not available on the publisher’s website;

- the data are underlying or ‘raw’ data: ‘the numbers behind the figures’, i.e. quantitative or qualitative information in a systematic presentation such as a table or a structured format;

- the data are not presented in a PDF file, but in file formats that enable selection, manipulation and analysis, e.g. spreadsheets, editable text files, database, image, audio and video formats;

- the data consist of one or more files that appear well-presented and ordered, with interpretive documentation embedded in the file and/or recorded in a separate documentation or readme file;

- they include files containing software code used to generate or interpret the data.

We’ll no doubt find exceptions to the general rule, and revise and refine in the light of experience, but this seems a reasonable starting point. We want to promote the University Archive as a service providing access to substantive, usable, well-documented data, and to concentrate on getting authors who provide SIs to publishers to put the primary underlying data, where these exist and are relevant, in a suitable preservation/sharing service. I’m not sure I see any great value in creating metadata records in our Research Data Archive for SI on publisher’s websites, or in adding the SI files to our Archive – especially given the added admin this would involve. But I’m keeping an open mind…

Regards

Robert

Dr Robert Darby

Research Data Manager