Useful as both a teaching text and day-to-day working guide, Digital Curation outlines the essential concepts and techniques that are crucial to preserving the longevity of digital resources.
In this revamped and expanded second edition, Gillian Oliver comprehensively revises Ross Harvey’s original text; widening the scope to address continuing developments in the strategies, technological approaches, and activities that are part of this rapidly changing field.
The key topics covered include:
• the scope and incentives of digital curation, detailing Digital Curation Centre’s (DCC) lifecycle model as well as the Data Curation Continuum
• key requirements for digital curation, from description and representation to planning and collaboration
• the value and utility of metadata
• considering the needs of producers and consumers when creating an appraisal and selection policy for digital objects
• the paradigm shift by institutions towards cloud computing and its impact on costs, storage, and other key aspects of digital curation
• the quality and security of data
• new and emerging data curation resources, including innovative digital repository software and digital forensics tools
• mechanisms for sharing and reusing data, with expanded sections on open access, open data, and open standards initiatives
• processes to ensure that data are preserved and remain usable over time.
The American Archivist said that the first edition was, “...clearly written, useful, and fascinating. If you are new to this subject or even if you think you know a lot about it already, this book will provide you with new insights."This book will be essential reading for any information professional, records manager or archivist, who appraises, selects, organizes, or maintains digital resources and has responsibilities as a digital curator.
More info: http://www.facetpublishing.co.uk/title.php?id=300976
Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask]
For information about joining, leaving and suspending mail (eg during a holiday) see the list website at