ADMIN-PLANNING  April 2016

ADMIN-PLANNING April 2016

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: University league table publication dates 2016

"Picken, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>

Academic, financial or space planning in UK universities

Fri, 22 Apr 2016 09:04:03 +0000

text/plain

It may be laughable but it's perfectly clear that in the strange eyes of the law of the land-of-the-free in which we live, the weightings and methodology of converting them to scores are the IP of the compiler and publisher, not the originator of the data.

Because this is a capitalist money-making activity rather than altruism, it is also clear that the publishers/compilers are going to "protect" their IP and not share their publishable data prior to publication nor indeed do they have any incentive to make their post-publication data more easily available in any format other than the way they have published.

In the 1990s I spent many hours helping the league table compilers with technical issues (my particular area of concern at the time was discounting so-called 'franchise' students from any ratios involving staff or spend).  I never earned a penny or even got my fares paid - I didn't want to be in their pocket.  I did it not because I like what they are doing, but because it is a reality in which we live.  In fact the only way to undermine them is to engage and encourage more people to come forward and publish using different but valid and technically well-constructed criteria .  Thereby we diminish or remove the monopolies they try to achieve.  I didn't succeed in persuading the Times to put applicant-to-place ratio into their table ("Any league table factor that puts Oxford and Cambridge at the bottom is not credible" was the response I got) but we did at least encourage the Guardian to put in some kind of Value Added calculation, inadequate though it might be.

It would be better in my view if we spent our efforts trying to encourage open and free but valid use of our data, so that if some (altruistic) publisher or researcher wants to compile the Poppleton Metropolitan Lookalike LeagueTable rather than the Oxbridge Lookalike League Tables we currently have, they can.

We have to learn to be subversive rather than acquiescent or dismissive.

Regards

Michael Picken

Deputy Head of Registration Service

Financial Services