Re: on final R value

Gerard Bricogne <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Mar 2016 16:02:54 +0000

text/plain

Dear Petr,

     Thank you for mentioning the case of 4MTK, as it has turned out
to be rather enlightening. It confirms that outliers don't necessarily
have anything wrong, or even suspect, about them: they just beg for
some extra explanations over and above he assumptions that hold for
the main population.

     In this case the low R-values have already been rationalised in
terms of the combined beneficial effects of high-order NCS and very
high solvent content. The already low values given in the PDB header
for 4MTK (Rwork=0.170, Rfree=0.195) can even be slightly improved by
using BUSTER (Rwork=0.150, Rfree=0.175) or PDB_REDO (Rwork=0.157,
Rfree=0.179), making the achievement of such R-values at 3.32A
resolution even more remarkable.

     It turns out that the other term of the comparison, i.e. the data
resolution, is itself subject to unusual influences here that create
an unanticipated bias. As the PDB header contains NULL values for all
four data quality indicators in the highest resolution shell, we used
STARANISO (available through http://staraniso.globalphasing.org/ ) to
examine the local average of I/sig(I) through reciprocal space. This
shows that the isotropic resolution cut-off that was applied really
did "cut into the quick" in the sense that the mean I/sig(I) at the
cut-off d_min was still about 2.5. We rationalise this by the fact
that the cell has a very long c-axis (653 A), and that in order to
resolve the spots along c* the detector had to be put at such a large
distance that some of the diffraction pattern went off the edges of
the detector. The natural diffraction limit of the crystals is clearly
higher, introducing a second bias away from the average trend of
R-values vs. resolution, in which the tacit assumption may be made
that the "resolution" quoted is that at which the diffraction pattern
fades away below the background noise.

     These two biases have therefore conspired to make 4MTK a huge
outlier that is nevertheless totally legitimate. However it would be
incorrect for others to hope to achieve similar statistics when they
have 1 molecule per asymmetric unit, 50% solvent, and data going out
to a CC_1/2 of 0.2 .

     A corollary is clearly that 4MTK is a case when reprocessing the
original images could be expected to bring a handsome return.

     With best wishes,

 Gerard, Clemens and Claus