Re: Abduction, Induction, and Deduction

CHARLES BURNETTE <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Mar 2016 16:21:16 -0400

text/plain

Ken, Claus, and all,

This discussion fails to illuminate how abduction might occur in design thinking, to indicate why it is appropriate to designing. or to explain how it might be used to establish an outcome that can be empirically tested. As with “heuristics”, “abduction" is treated as an umbrella word without immediate practical definition or application.

The paper “Building and Using A Theory of Design Thinking” at www.independent.academia.edu/charlesburnette <http://www.independent.academia.edu/charlesburnette> demonstrates how abductive thinking can be applied to produce testable outcomes. Although interpretive correlation is an inductive process. I see no reason for deduction to be called upon. Interpretation and the practical testing of outcomes and assumptions are highly desirable.

"Situated thought” involving the context, background, and circumstances of interest or concern, the identification of “Needs and Desires" within this situated  thought, "Intentional stances" that brings purposeful interpretation to each situation, “Structured Thought" based on scientifically valid findings and practical utility, and an "Iterative Process" of evaluation, assimilation and adaptation are seen as necessary components of an abductive process.

We need to focus research on the mechanisms of how designers actually think rather than attempt to force design thinking into normative patterns and methods basic to other disciplines.

Or, so I Believe,
Chuck