Help for HUMOUR-RESEARCH Archives

HUMOUR-RESEARCH Archives

HUMOUR-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

HUMOUR-RESEARCH Home

HUMOUR-RESEARCH  February 2016

HUMOUR-RESEARCH February 2016

Re: New List Owner required for: HUMOUR-RESEARCH JiscMail List

Graeme Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>

Humour-Research <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Feb 2016 10:06:11 +0000

I don't agree with all of Dino's suggestions about how a discussion list should
be run, but I do support the idea of starting something up on a different
platform, where there are no restrictions about the affiliation of the
moderator(s). For example, Yahoo has suitable facilities, and I think Google
does as well. There are probably several others.

But we need someone to volunteer -- from anywhere -- to set this up and be the
list owner.

Anyone?

Graeme Ritchie

On 04/02/16 22:18, Dino DiArtist wrote:
> The Jisc service has a number of requirements and restrictions, including that the nominal owner have an academic position in the UK. When the list-serve was originally started more than a decade ago (a different era in the internet) the idea was to have a highly rigorous discussion with very academic standards. Many similar internet forums, that were once very lively have fallen silent (as has our own).
> I think an internet discussion group is very useful for sharing ideas and popularizing research. However, I would recommend that it be more open and less formal. It should allow for sharing links, images and videos. It should be accessible to professional academics as well as interested amateurs.
> Somebody needs to volunteer to take charge and actually lead the forum, not just be the nominal trustee. They need to spark discussion during lapses. They need to moderate the debate when passions flare. They need to encourage less aggressive participants to express themselves. Errors in judgement should be dealt with without total banishment.
> We need a new a list-serve on a different site, and some to organize it.
> Dino
>   Dino DiArtist http://www.dinodiartist.com
>
>      On Thursday, February 4, 2016 1:22 PM, "Raskin, Victor" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

>   Anything wrong with Jason? I hope not!
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Feb 4, 2016, at 12:02 PM, Christian Hempelmann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Graeme,
>>
>> Nobody has announced their willingness to take over this list so far. If Texas were still part of an American colony that König Georg der Dritte hadn’t lost for the Kingdom of Great Britain, I might be affiliated with a British educational/research institution and would volunteer myself. But Scotland is still part of the, by now, United Kingdom...
>>
>> Best,
>> Kiki
>>
>>> On Feb 4, 2016, at 04:13 , Graeme Ritchie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Has anyone offered to take over running this list?
>>> Or is it about to close next week? (See below)
>>>
>>> Graeme Ritchie

Dr G. D. Ritchie

Honorary Senior Research Fellow
Computing Science                       Tel: (+44) (0)1224 272383
University of Aberdeen                  Fax: (+44) (0)1224 273422
King's College
Aberdeen AB24 3UE
Scotland

Email username: <FIRSTINITIAL><DOT><SURNAME>
Email domain : abdn.ac.uk

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/ncs/profiles/g.ritchie/

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.