Help for SPORT-MED Archives

SPORT-MED Archives

SPORT-MED@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

SPORT-MED Home

SPORT-MED  January 2016

SPORT-MED January 2016

[webdev] Web Design Update: January 6, 2016

"David P. Dillard" <[log in to unmask]>

To support research in sports medicine <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Jan 2016 11:05:52 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

.

Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 06:28:30 -0600
From: Laura Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
To: webdev <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: January 6, 2016

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 14, Issue 28, January 6, 2016.

design and development.

++ISSUE 28 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: COLOR.

04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

05: EVENTS.

06: HTML5.

07: JAVASCRIPT.

08: MISCELLANEOUS.

09: NAVIGATION.

10: PHP.

11: TYPOGRAPHY.

12: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Shaping the WCAG 2.0 Extensions

By Michael Cooper.

"...Your input on these extension requirements is important to the
ultimate success of the extensions. Please review and comment on these
proposed requirements. The Working Group requests input by 5 February
2016 so it can address any issues raised and turn its focus fully onto
the extensions themselves."

https://www.w3.org/blog/2016/01/shaping-the-wcag-2-0-extensions/

Quick Reference

By WebAIM.

"We have updated our evaluation quick reference..."

http://webaim.org/resources/evalquickref/

15 Website Accessibility Tips That Increase Everyone's Engagement

By Rashaud Brooks.

"...Ultimately, compliance with the DOJ and the American Disabilities
Act (ADA) is not just about better serving the individuals with vision
or hearing issues-it's about providing a better web user experience
for everyone...."

https://uxmag.com/articles/
15-website-accessibility-tips-that-increase-everyone%E2%80%99s-engagement

Woe-ARIA - The Surprisingly but Ridiculously Complicated World of
aria-label/ledby

By Jamie Teh.

"Let's take aria-label and aria-labelledby. They're awesome. Authors
can just use them to make screen readers speak the right thing.
Simple, right? Not at all. I wish it were that simple, but it is so,
so much more complicated than that..."

http://blog.jantrid.net/2015/12/
woe-aria-surprisingly-but-ridiculously.html?m=1

Woe-ARIA: aria-describedby: To Report or Not to Report?

By Jamie Teh.

"In my last post, I waxed lyrical about the surprising complexity of
the seemingly simple aria-label/ledby. Thanks to those who took the
time to read it and provide their valuable thoughts. In particular,
Steve Faulkner commented..."

http://blog.jantrid.net/2015/12/
woe-aria-aria-describedby-to-report-or.html?m=1

What Should an AT Convey to Users?

By Steve Faulkner.

"A Work in progress..."

http://thepaciellogroup.github.io/AT-browser-tests/AT.html

The High Cost of Digital Discrimination

By Jonathon Hensley.

"Netflix, Disney and Target have all faced lawsuits alleging their
websites offer poor accessibility for the disabled. It makes no sense
to wait for US guidelines, now expected in 2018, to end an era of
digital discrimination..."

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/dec/31/
digital-discrimination-netflix-disney-target-web-accessibility-doj

V&L Live - End of Year Special (Video)

By Karl Groves & Billy Gregory.

"Hangout with Karl Groves & Billy Gregory (aka The Viking and the
Lumberjack) for our very first "V&L Live". We'll be introducing this
monthly Hangout, talk about future plans and more.  We'll recap the
state of accessibility in 2015, make some predictions for 2016, and
risk our day jobs..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFNibcNxM

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Blending Modes Demystified

By Justin McDowell.

"In an ideal world, we'd be able to modify a design or graphic for the
web while keeping the original intact, all without opening an image
editor. We'd save tons of time by not having to manually reprocess
graphics whenever we changed stuff. Graphics could be neatly
specified, maintained, and manipulated with just a few licks of CSS.
Oh. Wait. We can do that! Justin McDowell gives us the lowdown on
blending modes."

http://alistapart.com/article/blending-modes-demystified

+03: COLOR.

How to Design for Color Blindness

By Usabilla.

"Around 8-10% of males and 0.5% of females have some form of color blindness..."

https://medium.com/@usabilla/how-to-design-
for-color-blindness-62d4d8ae9f6a#.cm41a3yec

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

How to Determine the Right Number of Participants for Usability Studies

By Janet M. Six and Ritch Macefield.

"UX researchers and other project stakeholders often fervently debate
the number of participants that are necessary for usability
studies..."

http://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2016/01/how-to-determine-
the-right-number-of-participants-for-usability-studies.php

+05: EVENTS.

An Event Apart Washington DC
July 25-27, 2016.
Washington DC, U.S.A.
http://aneventapart.com/event/washington-dc-2016

eduWeb Digital Summit
August 1-4, 2016.
Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.
http://www.eduwebdigitalsummit.com/

+06: HTML5.

On Accessibility and the Lack of Proper HTML

By Ian Devlin.

"When Ethan Marcotte first wrote about responsive web design back in
May 2010, the development world cheered, embraced what he said, and
went forth and built sites responsively. This, of course, was a good
thing, as making websites available to more people, regardless of
their screen size is fundamental in making the web accessible to all.
But wait. There's that word; accessibility..."

http://www.iandevlin.com/blog/2016/01/
opinion/on-accessibility-and-the-lack-of-proper-html

Simple Inline Error Message Pattern

By Steve Faulkner.

"...Using simple HTML, with a little ARIA polyfil magic if you want to
get fancy, you can robustly associate error messages with controls and
ensure that users get the message every time."

https://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2016/01/
simple-inline-error-message-pattern/

Placeholder

By Rakesh Paladugula.

"...The placeholder attribute should not be used as an alternative to
a label..."

http://www.maxability.co.in/2016/01/
placeholder-attribute-and-why-it-is-not-accessible/

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

Managing the Private Data of ES6 Classes

By Axel Rauschmayer.

"This blog post explains four approaches for managing private data for
ES6 classes..."

http://www.2ality.com/2016/01/private-data-classes.html

Preparing for ECMAScript 6 - Proxies

By Craig Buckler.

"In computing terms, a proxy sits between you and the thing you are
communicating with..."

http://www.sitepoint.com/preparing-ecmascript-6-proxies/

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

5 Ways Web Apps and Sites Are the Same and Different

By Simon St. Laurent.

"How similarity can both unite and divide as developers seek greater
control over delivery..."

https://www.oreilly.com/ideas/
5-ways-web-apps-and-sites-are-the-same-and-different

+09: NAVIGATION.

Is the Hamburger Menu a Problem?

By Tri Branch Vo.

"...As you might expect, it's a two-edged sword. As a positive (to
some users), it helps to hide clutter and unnecessary actions. As a
negative (to some users), it hides actions that they may deem
necessary...."

https://medium.com/readme-mic/
is-the-hamburger-menu-a-problem-d606d40a105f#.6nxccboz8

+10: PHP.

PHP Arrays - the Basics

By Michelangelo van Dam.

"In 2015 we celebrated the twentieth birthday of PHP and we even had
the release of php-7.0.0..."

http://www.dragonbe.com/2016/01/php-arrays-basics.html

+11: TYPOGRAPHY.

Compare Fonts for Use on Your Website

By Karen Mardahl.

"Will the fonts that you chose for your website appear as you expect
them to when viewed on someone else's computer?..."

http://accessible-techcomm.org/compare-fonts-for-use-on-your-website/

+12: USABILITY.

Millennials as Digital Natives - Myths and Realities

By Kate Meyer.

"Millennials have high expectations about user interfaces and are
confident in their skills, but they're error prone and their tendency
to multitask reduces their task efficiency."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/millennials-digital-natives/

10 Key Mobile UX Design Principles

By Neil Turner.

"...Obviously there is a lot more to think about than just these 10
design principles, but they're a pretty good place to start..."

http://www.uxforthemasses.com/mobile-ux-design-principles/

The Pointer is a Tool for Tracking Gaze and Fixations As Well as

Activating Interactive Controls

By Sarah Horton.

"...In this context, elements that display on hover are obstacles..."

https://medium.com/@gradualclearing/
the-pointer-is-a-tool-for-tracking-gaze-and-fixations-as-
well-as-activating-interactive-controls-693de2d98dcc#.6wnkeg3wp

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson