Re: Philosophy in Context

CHARLES BURNETTE <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 19 Jan 2016 09:29:49 -0500

text/plain

Ken and Colleagues

This is a short, off the top thought about philosophy today, and American philosophic thought in particular. The great pragmatic tradition among American philosophers is a model you do not cover that I hope you will. American pragmatic philosophers Jefferson, Adams, Dewey, James, Pierce, Dennett, Lakoff were almost always multidisciplined: Jefferson - inventor, farmer, politician; Adams - politician; Dewey - education, James - psychology, Pierce - linguistics, Dennett - neuroscience; Lakoff- psycholinguistics. Their philosophies emerged from particular points of view and focussed experience, usually within the context of a University. Their ideas often substantially influenced the University in which they worked, not always through a philosophy department.  Most were current reinterpretations of established fields. I believe that is why their visions are so useful today. The New York Times article didn’t really consider this, preferring to describe the disciplinary silo not the field of philosophical thought.

Or, so I believe,
Chuck