MCG  January 2016

MCG January 2016

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: MCG Digest - 7 Jan 2016 to 8 Jan 2016 (#2016-5)

Rebecca Brumbill <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Jan 2016 13:02:28 +0000

text/plain

Dear Stephen,

Our 'best practise' is option 1, so that the master digital file is an

exact representation of the entire artefact. We do in some cases store 2

copies of images, particularly if the image is small with a very large

border, the second copy can be a cropped version, but in some instances we

will re scan just the image without the border in order to meet the

required resolution.

Best wishes,

Becky

Rebecca Brumbill

Image Management Officer / Swyddog Rheoli Delweddau

Photography Department / Adran Ffotograffiaeth

Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales

Cardiff / Caerdydd

CF10 3NP

Tel / Ffon: 029 2057 3136

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Ystyriwch yr amgylchedd cyn argraffu'r e-bost hwn

On 09/01/2016 00:06, "Museums Computer Group on behalf of MCG automatic

digest system" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of [log in to unmask]>

wrote:

>There are 6 messages totaling 1264 lines in this issue.

>Topics of the day:

>  1. Digital Preservation of Stills: crop parameters (3)

>  2. Image Management Software

>  3. Call for papers: Eurographics Workshop on Graphics for Digital

>Fabrication

>     (GraDiFab 2016)

>  4. Last day today - EVA London Conference 2016 ​ deadline for proposals

>     Friday 8th January 2016.

>       website:  http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/

>       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg

>      Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/museumscomputergroup

> [un]subscribe:  http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/email-list/

>Date:    Fri, 8 Jan 2016 10:00:58 +0000

>From:    Stephen McConnachie <[log in to unmask]>

>Subject: Digital Preservation of Stills: crop parameters

>Hi everyone,

>I have a digital preservation question about crop parameters when

>scanning / photographing / storing photographic prints from a collection.

>At the BFI we're digitising our collection of photographic prints, it's a

>very large collection (over 1.5 million prints) and we want to get the

>scanning parameters right from the start of the project.

>There's some recommendation in the field to leave a small border around

>the edges of scanned artefact when cropping the digital preservation

>master. For example, the FADGI still image technical guidelines

>http://www.digitizationguidelines.gov/guidelines/FADGI_Still_Image_Tech_Gu

>idelines_2015-09-02_v4.pdf

>has this to say on page 64in the section called Cropping:

>We recommend the entire document be scanned, no cropping allowed. A small

>border should be visible around the entire document or photographic

>image. Careful placement of documents on flatbed scanners may require the

>originals to be away from platen edge to avoid cropping. For photographic

>records - If there is important information on a mount or in the border

>of a negative, then scan the entire mount and the entire negative

>including the full border. Notch codes in sheet film are often considered

>important to retain. Otherwise, scan photographs so there is only a small

>border around just the image area.

>However, a majority of our prints have a white border around the image,

>already. So in light of this recommendation: 'scan photographs so there

>is only a small border around just the image area' - I wanted to ask what

>crop parameters others in the sector are using for prints that contain a

>white border.

>I think the options are these:

>1. Black border around object

>a. Preservation master: crop leaving a border around the entire artefact,

>so the master consists of image and white border from the print, and

>black border from the capture process

>b. Access rendition(s): depending on preference / application, crop to

>remove the border, either at white border edge or to edge of image

>2. White border only

> [...]

YMWADIAD
Mae pob neges ebost a anfonir i neu gan Amgueddfa Cymru yn cael ei
sganio gan systemau diogelwch awtomatig er mwyn rheoli negeseuon
digymell a dileu cynnwys amhriodol neu beryglus. Cafodd y neges hon ei
sganio am firysau cyn ei hanfon, ond dylech hefyd fodloni'ch hun bod y
neges, a phob atodiad ynddi, yn rhydd o firysau cyn ei defnyddio gan
nad yw'r Amgueddfa'n derbyn cyfrifoldeb am unrhyw golled neu ddifrod o
ganlyniad i agor y neges neu unrhyw atodiadau. Gall y neges hon ac
unrhyw ffeiliau a atodir ynddi gynnwys gwybodaeth gyfrinachol a
fwriadwyd ar gyfer y derbynnydd yn unig. Os ydych chi wedi derbyn y
neges trwy gamgymeriad, rhowch wybod i ni a chofiwch ddileu'r neges.
Safbwyntiau personol yr awdur yw'r safbwyntiau a fynegir yn y neges
hon, ac nid ydynt o reidrwydd yn cynrychioli safbwyntiau'r Amgueddfa.
Nid yw'r Amgueddfa'n atebol am unrhyw wallau, llygredd neu esgeulustod
a allai godi wrth drosglwyddo'r neges hon, felly na ddibynnwch ar y
cynnwys heb geisio cadarnhad ysgrifenedig yn gyntaf.

DISCLAIMER
Email to and from Amgueddfa Cymru - National Museum Wales is scanned
by automated security systems to control unsolicited messages and
eliminate inappropriate or dangerous content. This message was scanned
for viruses before transmission, but you should also satisfy yourself
that the message, and all attachments, are  virus-free before use as
the Museum accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage that might
arise from opening the message or any attachments. This message and
any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information
intended only for the recipient. If you received it by mistake please
inform us and delete the message. The views expressed in this message
are the personal views of the author and may not necessarily represent
those of the Museum. The Museum accepts no liability for any errors,
corruption or omissions that might arise in transmission of this
message, so please do not rely on the contents without seeking
confirmation in writing.

--
 Scanned by FuseMail.

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg