Help for BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  November 2015

BRITARCH November 2015

Re: Ice Age engravings found at Jersey archaeological site

Constantinos Ragazas <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Nov 2015 11:41:32 -0500

John Wood,

Questioning is not knocking. I accept each archeological site is unique and should be considered by the evidence unique to it. So, in your view, what makes this particular "rock art" 14,000 years old? I'd rather know!

But more generally, stratigraphic layering in time depends on the deposition of sediments and artifacts found in the layers. I can accept such layers can mark time for alluvial, fluvial and glacial deposits of rocks, soil and debris (with reasonable qualification and exceptions). Thus, the layer beneath was deposited before the layer above it. But how do you systematically "layer solid ground" in the dry open fields without such disturbing and disruptive natural processes? In my view, no archeological site can be said to have a "secure context" based on such stratigraphy.

If all the geological stratigraphy we see is the result of alluvial, fluvial, glacial and other natural processes, how could such stratigraphy apply to archeology? Since human habitation and artifacts can only happen in the open at ground level. And if these are found deeply buried, that would suggest to me subsequent catastrophic geological processes at work which do not respect the workings of people. And would indiscriminately bury these from various different places and times.

Please understand all my questions and misgivings are in earnest. Not in my character to "knock down" what others think for the "fun of it". I am NOT a troll! But I am committed to objective truth and sensible reason. Archeological dates based on stratigraphy does not make sense to me. Though it certainly can provide archeology "secure" dating methodology. And allow a narrative to be developed on these dates, right or wrong.

Kostas