Help for ARCHIVES-NRA Archives

ARCHIVES-NRA Archives

ARCHIVES-NRA@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ARCHIVES-NRA Home

ARCHIVES-NRA  November 2015

ARCHIVES-NRA November 2015

Opening Hours Survey - West Sussex Record Office

Matthew Jones <[log in to unmask]>

Matthew Jones <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 9 Nov 2015 08:30:02 +0000

Dear all

From Monday 1 February 2016, West Sussex Record Office is planning to change its opening hours to enable more staff time to be dedicated to cataloguing, digitisation and, in particular, outreach and learning activities.

The Record Office already has an active programme to promote the County’s history through talks, workshops and exhibitions – with more than 4,200 people attending events in 2014. But we would like to widen participation further by responding to the growing interest in group access and educational activities from schools, colleges, universities, community groups and other organisations.

We are currently open for 46.5 hours a week, much longer than most local record offices. Our plan is to close the Searchroom to individual researchers on Mondays and, due to limited footfall, to permanently suspend our late-opening on Thursday evenings. We will remain open on Saturdays for those who are unable to visit during the working week or who prefer to come in at the weekend.

We are launching a short survey to find out what activities people would like us to focus on, particularly on Mondays. The survey will run until Friday 1 January 2016 and we would be very grateful for your views.

You can complete the survey online at www.surveymonkey.com/r/wsro or you can fill out a hard-copy version at the Record Office.

If you would like to find out more, please see the survey document (available at www.westsussex.gov.uk/ro on the 'Visiting the Record Office' page).

Many thanks

Matthew Jones