Help for WFTHN Archives

WFTHN Archives

WFTHN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

WFTHN Home

WFTHN  October 2015

WFTHN October 2015

PhD Opportunities at the University of Southampton

"Cobb S." <[log in to unmask]>

Cobb S.

Wed, 28 Oct 2015 10:41:28 +0000

AHRC South, West and Wales Doctoral Training Partnership Scholarships 2016 and
PhD Study in Film at the University of Southampton

Film at Southampton
Film at the University of Southampton is delighted to announce a range of studentships within Southamptonís Faculty of Humanities as well as through the South West and Wales Doctoral Training Partnership (SWW DTP).

Southampton has a longstanding reputation for excellence in research in Film Studies, and has consistently been ranked highly in league tables. We achieved a perfect score of 100% in The Guardian University Guide 2016, making us the top institution to study film in the UK and reflecting our commitment to high quality education for all our students and the way we value them as individuals. We are also the UK leader for Film Studies in the National Student Survey 2015, scoring 100% for overall student satisfaction.

Our staff cover a wide range of different research interests and expertise. Our research activities include national and international collaborative projects, major conferences and world-renowned publications. Our approach towards film and television can be defined by our focus on issues of cultural transfer and exchange, and on the strong perception of visual media as transnational and global phenomena.

We have strong expertise in areas including:

  *   film sound and music
  *   European and world cinema
  *   national and regional cinemas, including Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Scandinavia and Latin America
  *   animation
  *   Chinese and East Asian cinema
  *   film distribution, reception and festivals
  *   stardom and celebrity
  *   genre studies, including horror
  *   women and cinema
  *   melodrama
  *   intermediality
  *   science and medicine in film and TV
  *   popular cinema
  *   Hollywood
  *   early and silent cinema
  *   history, heritage and the past
  *   literary adaptations

For more details on our research profile, please visit: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/film/research/index.page

SWW DTP
The University of Southampton is a partner in the SWW DTP consortium alongside the universities of Aberystwyth, Bath, Bath Spa, Bristol, Cardiff, Exeter and Reading. The Consortium expects to fund around 56 studentships in 2016-17. For full details see the Consortium website: http://www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk<http://www.sww-ahdtp.ac.uk/>/

Eligible applicants should register by 6 November 2015 for the Information Day on 23 November 2015 in Cardiff at https://swwdtp.fluidreview.com/.
Competition opens on 30th November 2015 and the closing date for applications is 11th January 2016.

We also encourage applicants to attend the Southampton University PG Open Day on 25 November 2015. For more information, and to register, please visit:
www.southampton.ac.uk/pgopenday

If you are interested in applying for a PhD in Film, please contact our Director of Graduate Studies, Dr Michael Williams on [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]> to discuss your application and suitable supervisors.

Dr Shelley Cobb, Associate Professor
Film and English, Humanities
University of Southampton
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/film/about/staff/sc1p07.page

WEEK 5 OFFICE HOURS:http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c45aaaa29a6f58-shelley
WEEKLY OFFICE HOURS:http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c45aaaa29a6f58-office

Adaptation, Authorship, and Contemporary Women Filmmakers, by Shelley Cobb
http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/adaptation-authorship-and-contemporary-women-filmmakers-shelley-cobb/?K=9780230283848

First Comes Love: Power Couples, Celebrity Kinship, and Cultural Politics, eds. Shelley Cobb and Neil Ewen
http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/first-comes-love-9781628921205/